Question I accidentally clicked cancel on a fake virus warning popup instead of closing the browser tab. Am I in any danger?

Kaspersky
10 Replies 2,283 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

gfgtkitkat34

Level 2
Like the title says. I encountered a fake malware warning popup and forgot to close the browser tab and instead clicked on the malware warning popup to close it. Do I have to worry about anything? As far as I can see, there are no suspicious downloads after the fake popup, and Kaspersky didn't show any type of malware blocking warning or website blocking warning. I did a full virus scan on K just to make sure everything was okay and it was clean.

Kaspersky antivirus and web protection was completely enabled when this happened. (by default)


Sorry I wasn't able to take a screenshot of this fake malware popup, but it was extremely similar to the below image, and the only difference is it had a cancel button. I swear the interface on that malware warning popup was very similar to this without any mention of McAfee. especially that "if you leave this site your computer will remain damaged and vulnerable" part

Any advice will be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:
While it's always better to close the entire browser tab, if your Kaspersky didn't detect anything and your system scan came out clean, you're likely safe. However, be sure to clear your browser cache and cookies as an extra precaution. Stay vigilant and avoid clicking on any suspicious popups in the future.
 
That's a relief. I'm familiar with malware warning popups, but honestly, this was the first time I encountered that particular Win 10 style warning.
You will get used to this with time, it is not easy to get infected with this kind of stuff while using a reputable security product, and to be honest you don't need to do a full scan, a normal scan is sufficient.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top