Browser Scanners

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Hi I was wondering say you use an antivirus and it is not compatible with the web browser you are using, eg google chrome do you lose protection? Eg F secure and Google Chrome do not work together and F secure only uses Firefox or Internet Explorer

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You mean the plugin for an antivirus that was not compatible to a browser like Google Chrome.

Well using Firefox and IE with compatible Browsing Protection have a maximum protection but using GC its like your losing it since you will depend on the realtime of your AV. Once you download a file there.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
In a sense yes a plugin. F secure has a tool bar and a built in page blocker but does not work in google chrome. Which really sucks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even Zonealarm their plugin also not compatible in Google Chrome. Hopefully all security products in the future they make it compatible to Chrome.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Really Limits your options on which Antivirus you can use if you use Google Chrome. Only really Kaspersky, Avast, Avira

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
It depends on how the web filtering is implemented. Some antiviruses does their filtering from a toolbar in the browser, others like Avast and ESET install a driver on the computer that does the filtering independent of the browser. They are both good solutions, the first one just require more maintenance. I can imagine that f-secure relies on a toolbar, in which case you do lose protection if the toolbar is not showing.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Norton is brining Google Chrome support in there next version but i think its only a safe search tool bar and nothing else. F secure im not sure on as if its a malicious link a F secure page comes up to say it has been blocked

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
iPanik said:
It depends on how the web filtering is implemented. Some antiviruses does their filtering from a toolbar in the browser, others like Avast and ESET install a driver on the computer that does the filtering independent of the browser. They are both good solutions, the first one just require more maintenance. I can imagine that f-secure relies on a toolbar, in which case you do lose protection if the toolbar is not showing.

Explained very accurate, in my opinion I believe Web Shields, Web Guards, Web Proxy Servers in AV's are much stronger than just using a toolbar to protect your browser because they protect all web activity like instance messengers, email clients and any other program that connects to the web.

Thanks.:D

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
So with the toolbar not working in F secure, the computer is still just as secure as with it not installed? Its new deepguard is ment to have a cloud scanner

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Panda Cloud have their toolbar with URL filtering, the good thing is you can unchecked the toolbar and leave with URL filtering also compatible to Google Chrome (As far as I know).

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Nice thinking of Testing F secure in Google Chrome. Are there any web filtering addons for Google Chrome?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Trafficlight (Bitdefender) for Google Chrome will work well.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i just using AdBlock Plus and WOT for my Firefox 6.
avast webrep still not compatible with new version of firefox.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For the temporary band aid solution you can try to about:config, extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0 (or any number depends on the version your using) make it boolean and set it to false.

D

Deleted member 178

win7holic said:
No.
i just wait until avast release new version and can use webrep on firefox 6.

it is silly to say that, like you said you will not eat this hot-dog because it has a new flavour not officially distributed :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.