Browser Tests Show Microsoft Edge Is More Secure than Google Chrome and Firefox

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
Lol we are on a security forum and people " hate" the most secure browser because it doesn't have extensions which are one of the main weaknesses of classical browsers :rolleyes:

i admit , the GUI and the design is quite poor , but in term of security , only Tweaked Chrome beat it.

It is like this, we might agree that Volvo is considered to be pretty safe but people still buy something they like for looks or some other metrics. I don't remember anyone saying I'm going to buy this car, it is very safe.

And shortcomings of browsers can be negated with the rest of setup.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Lol we are on a security forum and people " hate" the most secure browser because it doesn't have extensions which are one of the main weaknesses of classical browsers :rolleyes:

i admit , the GUI and the design is quite poor , but in term of security , only Tweaked Chrome beat it.
Very well said Umbra.

Reactions: DardiM

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Even if the test is reliable, given the frequency of Chrome updates, I rather use it than Edge.

I think the non computer savvy, naive and gullible general public, Edge could be a safer choice.

However, zeros days everybody is vulnerable against. Chrome is updated every two weeks.

Just last month: "Tuesday's update addresses 49 vulnerabilities within 10 security bulletins. Five bulletins are rated as critical and concern remote code execution vulnerabilities affecting Edge, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash Player, Office, Windows, and Skype for Business."

Microsoft says hackers have exploited zero-days in Windows 10's Edge, Office, IE; issues fix | ZDNet

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Even if the test is reliable, given the frequency of Chrome updates, I rather use it than Edge.

I think the non computer savvy, naive and gullible general public, Edge could be a safer choice.

However, zeros days everybody is vulnerable against. Chrome is updated every two weeks.

Just last month: "Tuesday's update addresses 49 vulnerabilities within 10 security bulletins. Five bulletins are rated as critical and concern remote code execution vulnerabilities affecting Edge, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash Player, Office, Windows, and Skype for Business."

Microsoft says hackers have exploited zero-days in Windows 10's Edge, Office, IE; issues fix | ZDNet

and read this part:

The Edge zero-day is also a remote code execution flaw, .... An attacker would need to convince a user to visit a malicious website.

A user shouldn't click on a unknown link

Reactions: XhenEd and DardiM

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It is like this, we might agree that Volvo is considered to be pretty safe but people still buy something they like for looks or some other metrics. I don't remember anyone saying I'm going to buy this car, it is very safe.

And shortcomings of browsers can be negated with the rest of setup.
Exactly! I buy a car or truck for features and looks not necessarily how safe it is (I do think about safety to some degree, but it has to have the looks and features that I need/want) as far as chrome and edge, chrome looks better and has more features that I like and want so edge can be bullet proof but that doesn't mean I will use it. Basically at the end of the day, we can drive/browse the web as safely as we can but that doesn't mean we will go through life without a fender bender/infection, if it happens then we will learn from our experiences and hopefully never get in another wreck/get another infection.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
"A user shouldn't click on a unknown link"

Sure against this particular zero day, but there have been several which require no user interaction. Not just for browsers, various OS's, including iOS.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.