Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
:biggrin: Hello! :biggrin:
I have a new pool: Which browser do you like?
For this pool, I have 2 options: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

I chosen these browsers because it's a big fight for the 1st place.
Thanks for votes and for replies! :)
UPDATE: This fight is at security, performance and usability. In one word: all. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used FF , Waterfox and Chrome and hands down Chrome.Chrome is faster better sync and more security than FF.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Unchecked the Multiple Choice box, otherwise it would render this thread pointless.

Vote > Chrome

Except, it performs slower on Windows 8, than my previous experience on Windows 7.

mohitpatel09

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
:DI use google chrome for its speed and stability for add-ons.

:mad:I dont like firefox because it checks for addons compatibility after update and disables many addons by saying not compatible even if they are.:dodgy:

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
minhtan7291 said:
Mozilla Firefox is the best web browser. PDF Viewer for Firefox comming soon.

I guess :/,but also a happier news for Chrome fan-boys (Also fan-girls ;D) :

Chrome have "hidden features" than Firefox lack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chrome passes all those criteria.

Security - Silent auto-updates , Sandbox technology , Latest Google SafeBrowsing lists , Malware download protection

Performance - Webkit , Multi-process , Instant tab/extension recovery , Better HTML5 (as of date, stable release)

Usability - Simple UI , Customisable , Self-maintained 3rd-party plugins (or similar)

TechStyle said:
This fight is at security, performance and usability. In one word: all. :)

Sure Firefox is also great, but to better didn't quite succeed when it came to copying ideas. Therefore, doesn't get my vote.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
TechStyle said:
For this pool, I have 2 options: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
I chosen these browsers because it's a big fight for the 1st place.

UPDATE: This fight is at security, performance and usability. In one word: all. :)
Both are good web browsers and the difference in most cases, are based on personal preferences and not real noticeable differences.

I'll tell you, why I do think Chrome is a better browser (for me) , when compared with Firefox.

First off all, if I format my computer and install Chrome or I'm going over at my girlfriends house and use her laptop... I always have my bookmarks,extensions and other personalization with me.How?
I just need to signing in to Chrome and this will bring my bookmarks, history, and settings to all of my devices. Just go to the Wrench menu and select "Sign in to Chrome."
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=hQuXxOBJwSg[/video]

I like the Google Chrome clean and simple user interface and the fact that Google is always updating this browser with new features and always keeping me, up-to-date with the latest builds.And maybe it's just me, however Chrome seems wit a few miliseconds faster when browsing than Firefox is. Of couse all this are subjective points and won't matter much in a debate.

However, if there is field where Chrome managed to get in front of Firefox is surely is security.....

Not only Chrome is very secure from exploits and other similar stuff , but their Safe Browsing feature is just something else!
Chrome will show you a warning message before you visit a site that is suspected of containing malware or phishing. And in most cases they will detect a malicious script way before any of the security vendors are able to find it.
z5xEDbg.png

Not only will Chrome detect the malicous codes within the websites code, however it does a great job at preventing users from downloading malicious files.
1bbShdB.jpg

If you have Chrome installed, just try to download 10 malware samples..... 9/10 will surely be blocked by this browser.
Firefox is far,far away from Chrome when it comes to security.....or in fact, Google is in front of all the other developers.
PWN2OWN 2013 has started, so it will be very interesting to see this year hacking contest on this two browsers.

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello, my vote goes to Chrome.

I am actually surprised that Firefox is winning. Chrome has a lot of extensions now and adds more and more features every version. Not to mention it is very fast. I love the chrome to phone extension. Since I have an Android phone it is quite handy. I like how everything syncs up with your Google account. Which comes in handy again since I am an Android user. I use Chrome on my phone as my default browser as well. Mind you now I have both Firefox and Chrome on my PC & phone. I did use Firefox though in the days where Chrome wasn't around. I could never handle using the painful Internet Explorer, haha :p

I think Chrome has a very clean UI compared to Firefox. Firefox's versions have been coming out like no tomorrow. I remember it being version 4 then all of a sudden it went all the way up to 18 I think it is now? I think Chrome has better malware detection and better HTML. YouTube (flash) works better in Chrome then Firefox IMO. But then again YouTube is owned by Google so go figure ;)

However there is one issue I have with Chrome and that is it's memory usage. It is VERY high. Most days it's using almost 1GB. It's just absolutely ridiculous. I compared it to IE 10. I had the same tabs open and IE 10 had way less memory being used. This is the only issue I have with Chrome and wish that it could be lower.

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Man said:
I am actually surprised that Firefox is winning. Chrome has a lot of extensions now and adds more and more features every version. Not to mention it is very fast.

not on Win8, the rest is true.

I think Chrome has a very clean UI compared to Firefox. Firefox's versions have been coming out like no tomorrow. I remember it being version 4 then all of a sudden it went all the way up to 18 I think it is now? I think Chrome has better malware detection and better HTML. YouTube (flash) works better in Chrome then Firefox IMO.

Chrome's UI is clean indeed but FF is more customizable.
for the version number, chrome is the main responsible, FF just followed.
for malware protection, both are similar.

However there is one issue I have with Chrome and that is it's memory usage. It is VERY high. Most days it's using almost 1GB. It's just absolutely ridiculous. I compared it to IE 10. I had the same tabs open and IE 10 had way less memory being used. This is the only issue I have with Chrome and wish that it could be lower.

this is not an issue, Chrome run each tab in a different process to avoid global crash if one tab is frozen.
note that each installed chrome's addons use each at least 70+mb of RAM.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Each to their own and that is why our forefathers fought for our rights SO that we could have choices
Everyone has different priorities so whatever works for you !! but you should go Chrome lololol

PurpleArmor

Verified
Jan 28, 2013
In my opinion, Chrome is better. I have never had any performance issues with Chrome unlike with Firefox. I use very few add-ons so that isn't a factor for me. One question though, does Firefox just rely on Google's Safebrowsing for protection from malicious sites or does it use another source in addition to Google's?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
PurpleArmor said:
One question though, does Firefox just rely on Google's Safebrowsing for protection from malicious sites or does it use another source in addition to Google's?

Not as far as I know. It should use it's own private browsing, I could be wrong though.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
not on Win8, the rest is true.

Chrome here on Windows 8. Running fast as a champ. :)

I don't like the lagginess of the UI in Firefox. I really don't care how fast it loads pages, the slugginess of the interface is just a huge turnoff. Also, the scrolling performance on a page (especially with flash elements running) is miles away on Chrome.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From my experience, Chrome launches slower on Windows 8 than it did on Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.