Advice Request BTL discontinued?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Guys, I noticed that BTL last update was 9 months ago. As you can notice down here. I wonder if they have discontinued updates. I'm not sure if the phishing database is getting new updates too. What do you think about these 2 questions?

1678493022265.png

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
You can try to disable all other types of protection (you can do this in a portable browser) and open sites from phishtank.org (just don't take the newest ones). This way you can see if the threat database is being updated. Generally, Netcraft (another web security extension) also has not been updated for 7-8 months, but recently suddenly got an update. Sometimes people just don't touch something that works anyway. :)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'll PM the Admin on the Bitdefender forum, and reply back as soon as I get a response. It may have more to do with the UI and the settings as far as updates, than the protection itself. All my Google searches are still up to date with TraffiicLight scanning. Also, from this forum webpage...lol, thank goodness you all are deemed safe here :) :)

traffic light.jpg

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'll PM the Admin on the Bitdefender forum, and reply back as soon as I get a response. It may have more to do with the UI and the settings as far as updates, than the protection itself. All my Google searches are still up to date with TraffiicLight scanning. Also, from this forum webpage...lol, thank goodness you all are deemed safe here :) :)
Indeed, extension updates are not the same as protection data feeds, which I'm sure it still gets.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Ty guys. I had a problem with my credit card (luckily i noticed in time). I'm running a lot of 2nd opinion scanners right now, but everything is clean. So i considered that maybe I had problem with phishing, despite using BTL, smartcreen, and good sense. I didn't find the cause yet. =;/

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

View attachment 273471
Pls, let me know when they answer to you

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Ty guys. I had a problem with my credit card (luckily i noticed in time). I'm running a lot of 2nd opinion scanners right now, but everything is clean. So i considered that maybe I had problem with phishing, despite using BTL, smartcreen, and good sense. I didn't find the cause yet. =;/
You are from Canada right?
I suggest that you have a look at TransUinion Canada (transuinion.ca). There you should see options and providers that will display your full, extremely detailed credit file. If you see anything suspicious, phone them up. Your card issues will be sorted out by the bank. In the meantime I would change passwords to the most common sites.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

BTL is one of the best domain check extensions available. I only disabled the search advisor, for a pragmatic reason. When BTL says it is safe and another protection kicks in (e.g. Smartscreen or NextDNS) the contradicting information can be confusing.

Since I switched to Chrome I never encountered a situation where Google Safebrowsing kicked in when BTL thought it was safe. Because I use NextDNS which also has Google Safe Browsing, I disabled Google Safe Browsing in Chrome and only rely on BTL and NextDNS.

NextDNS Parked Domains and New Domains may overrule BTL from time to time, that is why I kept the search advisor disabled. But 9 out of 10 times BTL is the one which kicks in to prevent surfing to questionable domains.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.