Advice Request Built-in Windows 10 VPN client - Is it worth using? [Pros/Cons]

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you use the built-in Windows 10 VPN client?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 100.0%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What is it?
Effectively, it's a desktop client that helps you connect to a third-party VPN network separately. Yup, it's a container basically.
For Most People... It's Useless
We'll be blunt - the Windows 10 built-in VPN client isn't great for everyone. It needs a bit of technical knowledge as it asks you about protocol choices and other features that most VPN service clients don't bother asking any more. It feels like an unnecessary step because it is.

As you need to subscribe to a VPN anyhow to even use the Windows 10 option, most people may find it easier to just use that company's software. It's far simpler and more effective to use your chosen VPN's app instead as it's typically designed better and far quicker to use. Switching between servers will be quicker, and it's an all-around far smoother experience than using the Windows method.

For Some People... It's Useful
If you're technically minded and keen to avoid the potential bloat of having unnecessary apps installed, the Windows 10 VPN client does offer benefits.

Source:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Just tried it; it's so good I had to restart my PC to remove created profiles. I don't know why, but it wouldn't let me disconnect from the server so I couldn't remove the profile until I restarted my PC.

Even though I like to have minimal number of software installed, I think I'll stick with the Windscribe app.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As expected.
1598729117135.png

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I mean company laptop has the VPN using windows 10 built in client so i have no choice but to use it, but on a personal level i dont even bother with the client because I am just a tad bit lazy and barely use VPNs.

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
It is an interesting feature, but it has some limitations not suitable for what you need a VPN to do.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.