Expired BullGuard Internet Security - free for 1 year

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Imursito

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2017
2017-09-01_1303.png

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Luckily, i had registered to the Bullguard account just before my laptop were broken :p @ispx , dont worry. If I bought new and powerful laptop maybe i will test it in the malware hub(of course i will need to set up a VM and I will need some help from the experts) (y)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
For a testing setup, simply use a VPN on host machine and default NAT Network Mode in Virtualbox/VMplayer. Using VPNs inside VMs only (and not on Host machine) can get painful since some times disconnections/corruptions can occur due to instabilities..
Hopefully you're behind a NAT router? Use a VPN inside the VM especially if you're using bridged mode instead of NAT. Both modes (Bridged and NAT) have their ups and downs.
Disable shared folders, copy paste, drag-and-drop functionalities for your VMs.
If your host machine is Windows, do make sure to have a good Firewall on the host machine(s) regardless of the network mode.

Disable Windows Defender
if not done automatically. Make sure it doesn't interfere. Make sure your system is clean (according to the three 2nd op scanners) before testing. Clean snapshots in short.
Install important programs before testing, like Java, Visual C++ redistributable (install multiple versions to avoid any potential lackings -> VC++ 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015), .Net Framework 3.5, MS Office, Adobe Flash Player, possibly Adobe Reader and VLC player too.
Regarding MS office license, you can use the 1-year free subscription of MS Office. I didn't have an activated version in my VMs. Whenever I had to run an Office malware (usually needing enabling macros), I used to click the "Enable Content" popup very quickly before Office could even validate my license. That may or may not be possible for others depending on the system performance..

Go through MH testers' report formats for referring proper practices. Try to run all the three 2nd op-scanners at the end (Zemana, NPE, HMP) after a guest OS reboot. Check the autorun entries. Check the running processes with apps like ProcessExplorer, CrowdInspect etc. CrowdInspect has a reverse DNS lookup and an experimental injection detection function.
Do post screenshots for different events and results. Any doubts, ask ;)
FINAL SYSTEM STATUS:
Clean means that a security product was able to detect all the samples by static or dynamic detection mechanisms.
Protected means that some samples were missed by security product’s detection mechanisms, but any malicious activity was successfully blocked, with a confirmation that Second Opinion Scanners (ZAM/NPE/HMP) didn't show any sign of malicious presence, malicious activity or malicious system modification.
Not Clean means that some samples were missed by security product’s detection mechanisms. No malicious file is running in system’s memory, there is no obvious malicious activity or malicious system modification detected but Second Opinion Scanners show the malicious leftovers are present on the test system.
Infected means that system is compromised by at least one malware. Present signs of active malware infection, malicious network connections, malicious system modification, bait files successfully encrypted, broken system’s stability and usability, BSODs, etc.
If ransomware accomplished its business, the system is Infected.

Also, avoid testing in Rollback s/w environments like Shadow Defender unless the host machine used contains no private data. You can go one step ahead in isolation efforts and run VMs in a Linux distro (if you have one) instead of Windows. Windscribe has an easy terminal-based VPN provision for Linux and it has a VPN Firewall too!

Last edited:

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
@Parsh ,
great suggestions!

@Syafiq, since Parsh already gave all good information I just add that because fileless malware is getting quite "popular" it might be good to scan the system before rebooting it...(some tester prefer/red to scan after).
If you want to be paranoid, use a specific router and system to test with no personal data on it (you can also add an anti-exe/whitelist program on the host)
To test ransomware, create "docs and pics" on the desktop, in "pictures" and "documents" folder... I did it in "downloads" too.
Looking forward to seeing you in the HUB.;)

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Parsh ,
great suggestions!
@Syafiq, since Parsh already gave all good information I just add that because fileless malware is getting quite "popular" it might be good to scan the system before rebooting it...(some tester prefer/red to scan after).
If you want to be paranoid, use a specific router and system to test with no personal data on it (you can also add an anti-exe/whitelist program on the host)
To test ransomware, create "docs and pics" on the desktop, in "pictures" and "documents" folder... I did it in "downloads" too.
Looking forward to seeing you in the HUB.;)
Thanks for adding points! @Syafiq If you run 2nd opinion scanners before a guest OS reboot, make sure to manually execute the detected autorun files etc to see if your AV can handle them. Consider having various formats as (ransomware) bait files.
Sure, you can use whitelisting programs to study the action sequence of samples better alongside process explorers.

Hello, I need license but I am late.Can anyone share if possible/if he/she has registered extra account
You can anyway participate in the Bullguard, Emsisoft giveaways here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.