Troubleshoot Buy a better processor than the i7-7700.

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
No.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
No.
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new processor that's better than the i7-7700. My budget is 100 to $500. If anyone can help me very grateful in advance. Best regards.

Reactions: Weebarra

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You didn't mention what are you going to do with it but assuming it's not something related to video editing then wait until the new intel cpus that will give more cores (8/16) and then buy those. For normal tasks and gaming, no cpu atm will give you a worthy boost based on the model you currently have.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Search info about AMD Ryzen 7
Not with that budget. Changing from Intel to AMD would require a totally different motherboard, and possibly new RAM too - depending on the OP's current motherboard and RAM (the Ryzen only supports DDR4, the i7-7700 supports both DDR3 and DDR4). And because a new motherboard constitutes a new computer in terms of Windows licensing, it most likely would require a new Windows license as well.

@Emanuel Tomasin - You need to visit your motherboard's website and look at the CPU QVL (qualified vendors list). This is a list of CPUs your motherboard maker has tested and verified works with your specific motherboard. You must buy a listed CPU to ensure compatibility.

Note there should be a RAM QVL too. But there are too many RAM makers and models available for board makers to test them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM but you do need to buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The cpu and motherboard should be within your budget if you don't go crazy with the motherboard.
But again, unless you have a full retail Windows license (and most are OEM, not full retail), to be legal, you must buy a new Windows license too. It is not legal, under any circumstances, to transfer an OEM/System Builder's license to a new computer/motherboard - except as part of a repair process to a replacement motherboard of the same brand and model.

So unless the OP has a full retail license (possible, but unlikely) or is planning on using one of the many free Linux options (again unlikely since gaming is the intended purpose), the cost of a new Windows license needs to be factored in too.

@Emanuel Tomasin - Your current Intel is a very capable processor. Perhaps there are other areas you can invest your money in to improve performance. How much RAM is currently installed? What graphics card? Are you using a SSD for your OS and programs?

Upvote 0

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Stick with i7 7700K. It's not worth replacing it imo. Especially not for gaming. Just overclock the hell out of it and you're set. I'm on 5820K at 4.5GHz and I don't see a single need to upgrade it. Reality is, if I didn't have global problems with my old X58 platform, I'd still be on my overclocked Core i7 920 I think. Or it's very likely that I'd be switching to Ryzen 7 when it came out. But because of problems, I was pressured to upgrade. 7700K is pretty damn good CPU since it clocks really high with good cooling. And for games, clock is still the king. It's only recently that just few games show some gains with more cores. But 7700K still has 8 threads, that's plenty enough.

Upvote 0

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
8GB RAM, evga 730 4gb drr5, ssd uv500.

The CPU is not the problem in your rig, it is the other way around with your GPU bottlenecking the S out of this cpu.
If you're looking to improve gaming performance you need to look for a new GPU, and if you still got money left after purchasing a decent GPU you can look for upgrading your RAM.

What's your screen resolution that you looking to play on?

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Not only is that potato GPU the problem, I'm going to assume his bus is also a bottleneck and a new MB with better SB/NB and faster channels would work wonders. A 730 video card though, that'll pretty much ruin any performance, across the board. That GPU is almost 6 years ago...

aUmNEJO.jpg

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.