Last updated
May 5, 2022
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Enabled, Windows Defender.
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
No custom settings.
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Defender
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome
AdBlock — best ad blocker

- Most Chrome Telemetry Disabled
- Enhanced Protection
- Secure DNS is toggled on
- Secure and Controlled site settings.
Secure DNS
None.
Desktop VPN
ProtonVPN
Password manager
Chrome (if that even counts)
Maintenance tools
UninstallTool
Winaero Tweaker
Disk Cleanup (Built in)
Defragment Devices (Built in)
Tasks
Resource Hacker
Process Hacker
HWINFO

Other Cleaning Information
Not sure if these count as cleaning but I'll list them here
- Debloated Windows 10
- Disabled complete telemetry on Windows 10
- Disabled all diagnostic data
- Disabled Cortana and Activity History
- Disabled that annoying search with Bing option
- Removed Microsoft Edge
File and Photo backup
External Hard Drive for crucial files (mostly everything)
Dropbox for music (Not often used)
Google Drive for my business documents and other stuff (Used sometimes)
System recovery
External Hard Drive
Flash drives with clean install of Windows
Registry Backups on External Drive
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
Acer Nitro AN517-51 (Yes I run a gaming laptop)
Intel Core i5-9300H
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffee Lake-H GT2) & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Notable changes
3/31/22 - Created this!
3/31/22 - Updated something I made a mistake on (messed up firewall with RTP)
3/31/22 - Updated to give more details on Chrome and other apps such as Maintenance and Cleaning. Generally polished it up with more details.
4/22/22 - More updates with backups and security.
5/5/22 - Updates!
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Pretty sure I did this correctly, I only have one computer at the moment, and it's the one I use the most.
May I know what you have to fix about your real-time protection and firewall? Microsoft Defender is built in and offers solid protection if configured correctly. If you really don't have the chance to use an antivirus at the moment, then at least check your PC for malware with second opinion scanners like:

1. Download and run Norton Power Eraser - Free virus and malware removal tool for Windows

or

2. HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert. Advanced Malware Scanning, Detection and Removal Tools.

Using a DNS provider that blocks malware wouldn't be a bad move either. Here are two options I'd recommend.

1. Quad9 | A public and free DNS service for a better security and privacy (free)

2. NextDNS (paid)

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
May I know what you have to fix about your real-time protection and firewall? Microsoft Defender is built in and offers solid protection if configured correctly. If you really don't have the chance to use an antivirus at the moment, then at least check your PC for malware with second opinion scanners like:

1. Download and run Norton Power Eraser - Free virus and malware removal tool for Windows

or

2. HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert. Advanced Malware Scanning, Detection and Removal Tools.

Using a DNS provider that blocks malware wouldn't be a bad move either. Here are two options I'd recommend.

1. Quad9 | A public and free DNS service for a better security and privacy (free)

2. NextDNS (paid)
Oh, I just checked and found out that I only have firewall disabled, not real time protection. I'm currently only using Windows Defender, and I'm planning on getting an antivirus soon.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Oh, I just checked and found out that I only have firewall disabled, not real time protection. I'm currently only using Windows Defender, and I'm planning on getting an antivirus soon.
In my opinion it's not necessary to buy a third-party antivirus. Microsoft Defender nowadays provides sufficient protection and can be improved with this open-source tool from @Andy Ful :

Worth checking out. It basically enables settings that normally can only be accessed via Group Policy. (y)

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
But why disable the Windows Firewall?
I forgot, I think I was having compatibility issues with an application at the time and I forgot to turn it back on. I'll update this again with new changes. I was looking at other threads and noticed the mention of important tweaks (which I have) that I forgot to add onto here.

I updated it to reflect more accurate changes, and I've turned on my firewall again. My goal is to improve my overall security from Danger to something higher.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.