Troubleshoot C and D drives run out of space???

Bechtelar

Thread author
Jan 14, 2022
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
run out of space in drive C or D
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I run ccleaner to clear cookies and cache but it only takes a while
Every time I use the computer for a certain amount of time, my computer says drive C or D is out of space, but the files in there are only a few, not enough to be filled.

Reactions: Nevi and show-Zi

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Every time I use the computer for a certain amount of time, my computer says drive C or D is out of space, but the files in there are only a few, not enough to be filled.
The first thing to try would be running chkdsk. Open Command Prompt as an Administrator, then enter:
Code:
chkdsk d:/f
This will scan D: for errors. When it completes, enter:
Code:
chkdsk/f
to scan C:. Note that you do not need to put a space between chkdsk and .f. Enter Y, when asked if you want to schedule chkdsk to run when you restart. Then restart your computer.

How much free space do you have on drives C and D, and what is the size of the drives?

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have less than 10GB free of 75GB in drive C and 68GB free of 195GB in drive D geometry dash
what I don't understand is after I use the internet for a while, the free space in drive C gradually runs out
The reality is that 10GB of free space in not nearly enough these days. As you browse the web, space will be taken up your browser's cache. You could free up some space on your C drive, by moving some files to your D drive. However, I presume you have just a single drive, that is portioned into the two separate drives. If is the case, I recommend temporarily moving everything on your D drive to an external drive. Then, you can delete the D partition and then extend the C partition to fill the entire drive. You can do that with Windows own Disk Management tool, as explained in the following link. If you have around 10GB free on your C partition and 68GB free on D, you would end up with just one drive, with about 78GB free.

After doing that, you could copy any files you need that you backed up, to your C drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just curious- do you ever use the Hibernate feature of Windows? If not (and need space), check on C: root to determine how much space is allocated to the file "hyberfil.sys" (note that this file is Hidden and Protected). You may find that it can be considered massive (depends on the amount of RAM on your system). If so, and you never use the hibernate feature, ryou can dump it by running this command as administrator (from command prompt): powercfg -h off

Reboot and check your C drive space.

Also, if you want hibernate enabled again, the command is: powercfg -h on

Hope that helped.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have less than 10GB free of 75GB in drive C and 68GB free of 195GB in drive D geometry dash
what I don't understand is after I use the internet for a while, the free space in drive C gradually runs out

As @roger_m said 75GB Windows partition is too small. At least make the Windows partition double the size of how much storage you are using right now, this is true for both SSDs and HDDs.

キャプチャ.PNG

There is hope even with a c drive with a small capacity:)(y)win10-21H2

Upvote 0

Jonwinter

Level 1
Jan 20, 2022
Well I will suggest you you a good PC cleaner and PC optimizer software they can help you in removing junk and unwanted files from you system.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Well I will suggest you you a good PC cleaner and PC optimizer software they can help you in removing junk and unwanted files from you system.
@Bechtelar already solved the issue. Aside from that, PC optimizers usually can't free up many gigs of space, making them of little use in a situation like this, and most PC optimizers can cause problems.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.