Troubleshoot C drive storage Space decreasing automatically

scodrash

Thread author
Nov 8, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Lagging, will get "not responding" most of the time
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Deleting spaces.
Using MC Afee AV, AdAware free trial, Spybot S&D, Microsoft Security Essentials to scan. No threats found.
Hi, my C drive storage space is not consistent. It keeps on decreasing, and sometimes increasing each time i shutdown & turn on my laptop.
Yesterday the space in my C drive was 11gb, but then after i restarted my laptop, it decreased to 3 gb.
Sometimes it even went until 0kb or few mb.
Please help

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
First try to create a new system restore point & then delete old restore points using windows in-built clean manager.
Keep only ONE real time protection module turned ON for max stability & max performance.
My recommendation would be uninstall mcafee,adaware,spybot using AV removal tools such as APP Remover by OPSWAT.
MSE & MBAM(free version) does a pretty good job of protecting your PC IMO.

Reactions: Geri
Upvote 0

Geri

Level 1
Verified
May 26, 2014
You should try out PrivaZer too. It's a cleaning software like Ccleaner but more effective. It can save a lot of free space. (the first cleaning process will take around a hour, dw it's normal).

Upvote 0

scodrash

Thread author
Nov 8, 2014
First try to create a new system restore point & then delete old restore points using windows in-built clean manager.
Keep only ONE real time protection module turned ON for max stability & max performance.
My recommendation would be uninstall mcafee,adaware,spybot using AV removal tools such as APP Remover by OPSWAT.
MSE & MBAM(free version) does a pretty good job of protecting your PC IMO.
Thanks for the info. How can i find windows in-built clean manager?

Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

1)Uninstall programs that you don't use anymore with IObit Uninstaller
2)If you have extra USB you should use portable software (PortableApps), if application cannot be portable you can make one with 7-zip.
3)Don't ever EVER use 2 AV's at same time because of conflicts.

Upvote 0

scodrash

Thread author
Nov 8, 2014
You should try out PrivaZer too. It's a cleaning software like Ccleaner but more effective. It can save a lot of free space. (the first cleaning process will take around a hour, dw it's normal).
Thanks, Will try to use it. Is this issue cause my any Malware or virus?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What OS are you running? Are you noticing any system crashes during shutdown, or messages about a system error?

You may want to run Windows Disk Cleanup with Admin privileges for your C:\ partition.

Upvote 0

scodrash

Thread author
Nov 8, 2014
What OS are you running? Are you noticing any system crashes during shutdown, or messages about a system error?

You may want to run Windows Disk Cleanup with Admin privileges for your C:\ partition.
no system crashes, but frequently getting "not responding" for few seconds whenever i open any files or folders. Lagging too much.
Im using windows 7, SSD hardisk, with 8 gb ram, Intel core i7, 64 bits

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
no system crashes, but frequently getting "not responding" for few seconds whenever i open any files or folders. Lagging too much.
Im using windows 7, SSD hardisk, with 8 gb ram, Intel core i7, 64 bits
Use ccleaner & bleachbit for disk cleaning.
I guess performance degradation is due to TRIM being disabled,also try shrinking pagefile size 1024MB instead of windows's default setting.
Check this link for more SSD optimizations http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

You could also use simple tweaking app. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

As for accessing windows clean manager :
Click on start menu type "cleanmgr" (without quotes) right click the same click on Run as Administrator then select the drive you want to clean
For more details check this link http://malwaretips.com/threads/tutorial-what-is-how-to-use-disk-cleanup-tool-cleanmgr-exe.30907/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.