Serious Discussion Can a Chromecast be infected with malware and spread it?

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Dear all

I once noticed, that my Chromecast created its own wireless-network. The Chromecast wireless-network had minimal security, and it did not require a password to connect to - so everyone could connect to it.

Could a hacker connect to the Chromecasts network, and then upload malware to the Chromecast.
So that when another device connected to the Chromecasts wireless-network, the device would get infected by the malware on the Chromecast?

What changes would it require to the Chromecast device?
Would it require a change in the hardware?
Would it require a change in the firmware?

Does it require NSA-level skills?
Can only be done by Google?
Every tech savy hacker could do it?

Can devices connected to the Chromecasts wireless-network interact with eachother, like on a normal wireless-network?

Thank you

Reactions: Dave Russo

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Dear all

I once noticed, that my Chromecast created its own wireless-network. The Chromecast wireless-network had minimal security, and it did not require a password to connect to - so everyone could connect to it.

Could a hacker connect to the Chromecasts network, and then upload malware to the Chromecast.
So that when another device connected to the Chromecasts wireless-network, the device would get infected by the malware on the Chromecast?

Can devices connected to the Chromecasts wireless-network interact with eachother, like on a normal wireless-network?

Thank you
This is probably a Wi-Fi Direct setup for the remote. Generally they don’t give network access to anything connected to them.

Also they would have to be in close enough physical proximity to the device to do it. But most Wi-Fi Direct applications either only accept the remote signals or require some sort of pairing if a phone or other device is being used.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Probably the same users creating accounts that look "ineedhelpplease" as user names stating infections and posting to not respond but create another account. The forum is being flooded with it lately.
I have had this account for awhile.
I do my best to answer the people, who come with serious reponses / help.
Thank you.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Generally they don’t give network access to anything connected to them.
They only give access to the Chromecast device, and not network access to eachother like a router?

But most Wi-Fi Direct applications either only accept the remote signals or require some sort of pairing if a phone or other device is being used.
When I am connected to the Chromecast, then I am paired with it. Or what do you mean?

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Mar 10, 2024
I know that.
I was just trying to say, that I am not trolling or something like that.
My questions are authentic, and I genuine appreciate when other users reply and help me.
If this is the case, you have sincerest apologies, although do understand the forum gets flooded with "bait" posts all the time, users looking to cause trouble, and a few of yours fit that with what's asked and how.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
They only give access to the Chromecast device, and not network access to eachother like a router?

When I am connected to the Chromecast, then I am paired with it. Or what do you mean?
It’s for communicating directly with the chromecast, either with a remote or a phone so they can talk to each other. It should not be communicating on your lan through the chromecast.

Amazon Fire devices have the same thing, but they hide the SSID. The remotes and apps use almost no airtime, so shouldn’t cause wifi interference.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
It’s for communicating directly with the chromecast, either with a remote or a phone so they can talk to each other. It should not be communicating on your lan through the chromecast.

Amazon Fire devices have the same thing, but they hide the SSID. The remotes and apps use almost no airtime, so shouldn’t cause wifi interference.
Maybe I have not been good at explaining the scenario.

The scenario:
There is no other router, network, wifi etc.

The Chromecast creates a wireless network.

There is no password on the Chromecasts wireless network - anyone within range can access it.

Hacker connects to Chromecats wireless network > Hacker infects the Chromecast with malware > device X connects to Chromecast wireless network > the malware on the Chromecast infects device X
Is this possible?
Or is this purely theoretical / NSA-level stuff?

Thank you

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Maybe I have not been good at explaining the scenario.

The scenario:
There is no other router, network, wifi etc.

The Chromecast creates a wireless network.

There is no password on the Chromecasts wireless network - anyone within range can access it.

Hacker connects to Chromecats wireless network > Hacker infects the Chromecast with malware > device X connects to Chromecast wireless network > the malware on the Chromecast infects device X
Is this possible?
Or is this purely theoretical / NSA-level stuff?

Thank you
It’s probably possible with some zero day flaw, but by design they only respond to known Wi-Fi Direct connections. If you aren’t a sensitive target who someone would go sit outside your home to try to connect to the very short range signal then there isn’t much need to worry.

Reactions: Khushal
Mar 10, 2024
Dear all

Thank you
Your Chromecast can create its own wifi-signal when turned on for the first time or if they don't have a wifi connection. If you see this happening occasionally its very much possible your Wi-Fi network is briefly dropping out. That causes the Chromecast to broadcast its setup network so you can configure a new Wi-Fi network if necessary.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.