Can antivirus's web protection blocks malicious sites in sandboxed browser?

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Can malicious websites be intercepted by antivirus's web protection if the browser is sandboxed?
If browser is sandboxed,then anti phishing and malicious website protection provided by an antivirus goes in vain?
Please reply my query asap.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
The internet filter should work as always, but in the other hand; a sandboxed browser won't be able to write down any cache files, the browser is isolated from the system. I think AV's will scan traffic in order to check websites you visit, and eventually block them. No need to actually touch the browser. But not all AV work the same way.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Yes I can confirm, for example using Chrome under Sandboxie, I get Adguard alerts if I visit a malicious/phishing site.
I believe it is the same for the AV's web protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can malicious websites be intercepted by antivirus's web protection if the browser is sandboxed?
If browser is sandboxed,then anti phishing and malicious website protection provided by an antivirus goes in vain?
Please reply my query asap.
Yes, including VM software for known malicious/scams sites (Web Protection) at AV-level. For example, Avast Web Shield may block an attempt to visit a malicious website, whether the browser is sandboxed or run through VM software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.