Can anyone recommend software to encrypt a windows folder ?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I would like to create a Windows folder that is encrypted and password protected.

It would be good if I could copy, paste and delete files within the encrypted folder in the usual way. The reason I would like to do this is to upload my files into a cloud backup in an encryped form. Ideally I would like to synchronise the encrypted folder with my cloud storage provider- so that any changes to the encrypted folder are automatically uploaded into the cloud.

Does anyone know of any good software that would alloow me to do this ?

Thanks.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I wonder if you actually need a 3rd party software for that as Microsoft themselves very recently introduced, Personal Vault.
If you don't have an Office 365 Home or Personal subscription, you can only add up to three files in your Personal Vault. If you do have a subscription, you can add as many files as you want (up to your storage limit).

But, it probably fails on your automatic sync request as 2FA is required every time for access.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would like to create a Windows folder that is encrypted and password protected.

It would be good if I could copy, paste and delete files within the encrypted folder in the usual way. The reason I would like to do this is to upload my files into a cloud backup in an encryped form. Ideally I would like to synchronise the encrypted folder with my cloud storage provider- so that any changes to the encrypted folder are automatically uploaded into the cloud.

Does anyone know of any good software that would alloow me to do this ?

Thanks.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
wannacry ? jokes aside...
the best method i use its move all really important docs, files etc to any external hdd then only conect it with internet disconected to move if needed.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Hello.
I use Cryptomator daily.
I use it as a local folder or synced in cloud (tried on OneDrive and Gdrive).
Very good app, with a nice Android "companion" app.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.