Can I reinstall & activate Windows 10 later if I remove it & install Ubuntu now?

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
I have a old Windows HP laptop which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit after Windows 7 end of life. The laptop became extremely slow as it had only 2gb RAM, which I don't wish to upgrade now. I don't use the laptop now for productivity, but for media consumption only. So, thinking about installing Ubuntu for smoother usage. However, I may need the laptop for productivity later on & so might upgrade RAM & want to move back to Windows 10.

However, how would I activate Windows then? Windows 10 doesn't come with a license key like earlier versions of Windows (I've the Windows 7 key still printed on the backside of the laptop). I suspect that they will know from the hardware signatures, but is that applicable even after hardware (RAM) upgrade?

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
what about linking it to Microsoft account to be digitally licence it would be activated again when you try online activation using your account when installing it "make sure you install home version again" i think once linked it will be permanently activated (also search Microsoft forums to be sure)

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You don't need to use a Microsoft account. After installing it and connecting to the internet, Windows will recognise your PC and see that you have a valid digital license and automatically activate your PC.

When installing Windows, select the option that you don't have a product key and then manually select the edition of Windows 10 that you were previously using.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Your Microsoft digital license is tied to the computer's motherboard. So you could install the OS of your choice and *always* come back. I've installed numerous hardware components besides mainboard and Windows never failed to activate. If you want, you can retrieve your license # via this command:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Only thing: you can't transfer your license to a new or different motherboard, in essence, to a different machine.

If you could install another 2 GB of memory, your laptop would benefit greatly.

Source

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As other posters mentioned, your windows 10 license will be reactivated after installation when you connect to the internet.

As an aside: since your computer has very limited RAM, it would be best to choose a Linux version that is low on RAM usage.
The most recent release of Kubuntu (an official Ubuntu flavor) is very low on RAM usage. And it has a layout and feel that could appeal to a former Windows user.
By contrast, the vanilla Ubuntu version uses the Gnome desktop which eats more RAM and takes some getting used to, and some tweaking, for former Windows users.

There are plenty of distros good for low-spec machines, but the default Ubuntu is not one them. If your processor is also very weak, maybe Lubuntu is best, but it is visually unappealing. MX 18 (not 19) is great for low-spec computers, but is not very similar to Windows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
If u should chosen a linux version go for an archlinux based distro, not for 1 that come from debian. The archlinux based one have generally less bloatware. I would suggest u manjaro xfce, some tweak are automatic will the installation and all software are in a "recipe" with is accessible with a program called pamac (gui version)

Upvote 0

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Reactions: Protomartyr
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.