Can i trust mailbird?

Freki123

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Hi,
i hope somebody with more knowledge than me can give me a hint about mailbird.
While surfing the web i found
The best email clients for Windows 2016 – Matteo Spinelli's Cubiq.org

The website states: "I installed the latest version and fired a packet sniffer.
If you don’t disable the usage sharing, Mailbird indeed sends analytics to mixpanel
and to one of their server hosted on unoeuro (a cheap 1-euro hosting service).

If you opt-out they don’t send data to mixpanel, but there’s still encrypted
communication with 94.231.106.126. Funnily enough that same IP resolves to
magicalmailapp.com which was the domain that Mailbird previously used to leak data. I
can’t say what they are sharing, but surely the opt-out is not completely opting you out.

UPDATE: I’ve been contacted by Mailbird CTO, he ensures me that the connection to
magicalmailapp.com is used exclusively to check and confirm your software license
(if you purchased the application).
You’d think that at least they are storing information on a super secure dedicated
server, it turned out that the IP is shared with 41 more websites on unoeuro host."

I found the ip im my outbound wfc log also, after that my knowledge is too limited to
verify anything :D

So do i need to worry (and i should better look for another emailprogramm) or does
the website states pure bs?
(I really like all my emailaccounts displayed like its just one account in the inbox)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I use it. If you are paranoid i guess don't but what he mentions as issues are of no worry for me.

What are they going to do if they take the server. Steal my license? :O
The horror...

Freki123

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for your answers :)
What i miss in Thunderbird is the option that all email accounts are shown in one inbox and one spam folder inbox. I know it's first world problems but i like it and opera mail got discontinued ^^.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
And how is Thunderbird, regarding security?
Thunderbird is not a less secure email client. On the contrary. The important thing is that the account you use allow the use of an encrypted connection and, therefore, of the SSL/TLS protocols.

Someone might have read long ago that Google considered TB not very safe because of the OAuth 2.0 authentication, an old problem, but simply Google wanted to force users using Gmail.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Thanks a lot
You're welcome. Here's what that properties menu brings up...
2017-11-09_17h41_06.png
The Choose button allows you to select the inbox folders which will appear under the local Inbox.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Personally I was using Opera Mail years ago but in the last few years it has received the least attention from the developers that it is no longer promoted on the main opera website. I am using Thunderbird and I like it for it simply does the job. Regarding Mailbird, though I used the program before, I never was comfortable using it because I could not trust it. There is no specific reason but I have always believed that Mozilla TB is trustworthy and regulary updated.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.