Can I use an SSD only for Windows OS , and keep the 1TB HDD for all other files?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I have a 512 GB NVMe SSD which partitioned as exFAT and APFS each for 256 GB and can I format the exFAT partition to NTFS and put only the Windows OS on that SSD and use 1 TB SSHD for all other programmes including users/ Downloads etc, pagefile and even programme files?

Reactions: TRS-80 and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Placing the page file on the HDD will spoil the benefits of SSD. In the past, HDD was recommended as the location of the page file due to issues such as lifetime, but it is okay if you don't care too much. It is more important to deal with sudden death than SSD life.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Placing the page file on the HDD will spoil the benefits of SSD. In the past, HDD was recommended as the location of the page file due to issues such as lifetime, but it is okay if you don't care too much. It is more important to deal with sudden death than SSD life.
+1
A normal person can't wear out an SSD. I beat on my SSD and I can hardly make a dent in its life-expectancy.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
My notebook's SSD is at 13.4TB data written. It's a 1TB drive. According to Samsung's data sheet it means that in the last 2 years of use I used around 1% of its life expectancy. In other words, there is no reason not to use it for everything.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.