Advice Request Can Kaspersky 2017 protect a Windows 7 PC against WannaCry ransomware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
I am using the trial version of kaspersky internet security(fully updated) on my windows 7 machine .
Does kaspersky trial give enough protection ???

Reactions: PCGamer

Arin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
gives you more than enough protection, just make sure to enable a few features in the options.
Actually I am using KIS with it's default settings . Should I change anything ? If yes then let me know please .

Reactions: harlan4096

7sean68

Level 1
May 12, 2017
I don't think so unless you install windows updates patching the SMB vulnerability or disable SMBv1, just disabling network disovery won't work (tested).
the attack starts in kernel mode so nothing but the kernel (OS) can stop it (it has privilege above those of any other programs even any antivirus)

Reactions: Arin

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I don't think so unless you install windows updates patching the SMB vulnerability or disable SMBv1, just disabling network disovery won't work (tested).
the attack starts in kernel mode so nothing but the kernel (OS) can stop it (it has privilege above those of any other programs even any antivirus)
What exactly do you mean by "I don't think so" here?

Reactions: Arin

Arin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Actually I use Windows 7 aero blue lite edition 2016 64bit and windows update totally disabled in this windows version . So I can not update & kaspersky is my only hope. :'(

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Actually I use Windows 7 aero blue lite edition 2016 64bit and windows update totally disabled in this windows version . So I can not update & kaspersky is my only hope. :'(
Is it that you just cannot update your Windows?
Anyways, what he meant here is that you should disable the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol in your system to avoid the proliferation of the attack mechanically.
Regardless, the System Watcher component of KIS is able to protect against the variant of WannaCry Ransomware that recently hit the world institutes. If some files get modified, KIS is able to rollback the activity and save your files, and @harlan4096 has tested this here.
So for now, you need not worry.
Follow safe practices, be vigilant when dealing with unknown mails (better not open/download). Keep safe!

Reactions: harlan4096 and Arin

Arin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Is it that you just cannot update your Windows?
Anyways, what he meant here is that you should disable the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol in your system to avoid the proliferation of the attack mechanically.
Regardless, the System Watcher component of KIS is able to protect against the variant of WannaCry Ransomware that recently hit the world institutes. If some files get modified, KIS is able to rollback the activity and save your files, and @harlan4096 has tested this here.
So for now, you need not worry.
Follow safe practices, be vigilant when dealing with unknown mails (better not open/download). Keep safe!
No , I am unable to update this windows version .
By the way thank you very much buddy .
and I did not get his point :/

Reactions: Berny and Parsh

7sean68

Level 1
May 12, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.