Can Malware Run itself without being executed?

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hi, I downloaded some Malware Samples from the MalwareHub and I disabled the Realtime Protection of Emsisoft and left the Behavior Blocker running and it popped up with something saying This Program Tried to execute itself so I quarantined it. I was wondering can Malware execute itself without you clicking on it? Luckily I have Emsisoft which has a good behavior blocker.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi, I downloaded some Malware Samples from the MalwareHub and I disabled the Realtime Protection of Emsisoft and left the Behavior Blocker running and it popped up with something saying This Program Tried to execute itself so I quarantined it. I was wondering can Malware execute itself without you clicking on it? Luckily I have Emsisoft which has a good behavior blocker.
Generally not!
However, it can if you visit an infected site containing a java exploit etc!
What file are you referring to from the malware hub?

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Generally not!
However, it can if you visit an infected site containing a java exploit etc!
What file are you referring to from the malware hub?
I can't remember it was about a week ago. Also today I got another popup it said it blocked a file from Temp/Svchost.exe

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

As a courtesy you should identify the sample yourself - and then ask an advanced user, like @Klipsh, to make an investigation of it.

I'm not giving you a hard time nor criticizing you in any way - I'm just pointing out that it is not proper etiquette to expect someone else to track down a sample.

Besides, it can be any number of things - so - it is best to have the suspected file identified and available for analysis - because that is what you are asking to be done.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
H

hjlbx

Asking about this after-the-fact makes this all mere speculation as to what happened, how it happened and why it happened.

Emsi detected something via behavior blocker - but knowing how it works - it could be a "false" alert or something more sinister.

Emsi behavior blocker doesn't discriminate between legitimate and malicious action - it just detects and notifies.

If you quarantined it @Andrew999, is it still in quarantine ? If yes, then the file can be recovered and submitted for analysis.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
We're talking about code here; anything is possible, therefore I wouldn't be suprised if it can be automated. All it has to do is sync up with your clock/system time or have an internal countdown function and bye bye. To say otherwise is to mistake this security forum with one about pots and plants.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
We're talking about code here; anything is possible, therefore I wouldn't be suprised if it can be automated. All it has to do is sync up with your clock/system time or have an internal countdown function and bye bye. To say otherwise is to mistake this security forum with one about pots and plants.
That is a possibility,however the malware needs to "execute" or "autorun" such as from a USB,or from visiting an infected site,with a java drive by for example!Or an infected word document or other file from en email attachment!
There is no way that a piece of malware can infect without some sort of user interaction,which includes visiting malicious sites,autorun on removable media enabled etc etc!!
Even Stuxnet needed autorun.inf enabled to infect Iran's computers!!

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Asking about this after-the-fact makes this all mere speculation as to what happened, how it happened and why it happened.

Emsi detected something via behavior blocker - but knowing how it works - it could be a "false" alert or something more sinister.

Emsi behavior blocker doesn't discriminate between legitimate and malicious action - it just detects and notifies.

If you quarantined it @Andrew999, is it still in quarantine ? If yes, then the file can be recovered and submitted for analysis.
I clear out my Quarantine regularly so sorry it is gone.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

I clear out my Quarantine regularly so sorry it is gone.

For future reference, you can keep quarantined files - they cannot harm your computer. They are either encrypted and\or made inert by changing the file type extension.

Emsisoft will rescan quarantined items and will alert you if one is determined to be a false positive. Sometimes it might take weeks until a final determination is made. ;)

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013

I think a virus and a worm can be executed without being clicked
Others,I m not sure

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Most if not all malware from the malwarehub have to be executed to damage any system, why you got a detection would probably be because you extracted the malware from a zip file and didn't totally deactivate all protection including BB. It is highly unlikely for a malware to run itself, especially coming from a zipped folder.

L

LabZero

One of the few malware that might "auto-start-Itself" in a real scenario is MBR rootkit that copies its code in the Bootsector.
If the infection is through a code injection using a web site exploit, the human interaction is minimal, but still must be indirectly present the first time.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
You can try scanning with the security products which detected the samples or their payloads , e.g. Bitdefender or Eset online scanner just to be sure.Most likely it is a false positive.Usually, malware requires some kind of user input and later it may add autostart entries, but first thing an external binary must encounter is the UAC, unless it is some browser script/injection.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.