Can old phones be made to run the latest version of Android ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Probably, the best compromise between security/updating OS is to use a stock/OEM based custom rom or only a custom kernel but always keeping the root off (some roms can do that). Of course is still 3rd party and not certified OS at the point :)
And yes, no stock based roms, are usually slower and bugged :3
I didn't root or mod the new phone as it works nicely.
Of course, this require a bit of knowledge, you risk to brick and kill your phone if you do mess.

Tell me all about that. Just when I had thought a brand new Honor 5X was never going to see daylight again then finally it got updated and now is better than ever.

It had a horrible Core bug that used all four cores all the time instead of one at idle and that was a battery drainer for sure.

Simple enough to drill down into it and make a change but every reset it restored the default along with that bug.

Man I was so thrilled for the new update which included the fix for that issue.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Tell me all about that. Just when I had thought a brand new Honor 5X was never going to see daylight again then finally it got updated and now is better than ever.
It had a horrible Core bug that used all four cores all the time instead of one at idle and that was a battery drainer for sure.
Simple enough to drill down into it and make a change but every reset it restored the default along with that bug.
Man I was so thrilled for the new update which included the fix for that issue.

Well, mod rate success and quality is different for every OEM phone.
Mediatek based mods can give issues as platform is closed source (so mods are not well tested, often).
Same I guess for samsung exynos based.
Usually, qualcomm/snapdragon, are used in modding.
The start point is always XDA section for the phone owned.
Then:
* Wait for warranty end and/or android version too legacy (I won't mod phones which still receive over the air updates).
* Place a custom recovery on phone (for original rom/kernel backup)
* For some phones - like Sony - is need to backup also the DRM/TA partition, or the OEM data are lost forever when the bootloader is unlocked: worst camera and some OEM app won't work without them.
* Unlocking bootloader (easy or hard according the OEM)
* Choose a rom newer than the stock one; better if it based on AOSP or on the OEM. Heavily tweaked ROM are usually not good.
* Choose a good kernel; usually a custom rom go better with a kernel; often a custom kernel on stock ROM is nice too - and this reduce crash (well, it crashes if play with overclock)
* Gapps Pico pack (optional: brings only the google services core)
* Wipe from custom recovery, flash and reboot.
* Root and/or install a superSU app (to handle root permissions). If not already present in rom.

Of course, now the android phones are better, so it's not necessary as it was in 2.3.6 era :p
On a secondary phone, or a bad working phone, is still nice to do ^^
If phone works fine, I'll wait to do it.
Soft bricks are not common, but can happen.
So always have the .img of the original OS :D
Hard bricks are rare, but still again, can happen.

Last edited:

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
There's the key. No different than Windows.
Keep the Stock Factory backups and others after R00t and your phone is good to go -> As long as you know what to do right? :cool:

Yes, backup and knowledge is quite mandatory :)
But every rom/kernel has it's own guide. And the stability status.
For example, Sony has this OEM/DRM partition to be saved before unlock;
Samsung has a flash counter - and I guess some tools to keep it to 0 XD.
Warranty, if you revert any change made on OS could be safe - but usually it's convenient wait for its end.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It is possible but you need to make sure if the requirements are meet for Custom ROM, XDA Developers forum provides various information on different smartphone models.

Follow the instructions and don't be afraid when it failed to boot, just revert back with a stable ROM of the corresponding version of Android.

Reactions: Hadden
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.