Question Can someone test this file with Kaspersky in a VM?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
This is minecraft malware and I'm very curious if Kaspersky detects it. Opentip is clean, however on Opentip it renders this as a .txt file when its a .bat and it just opens notepad.
I dont want to test it on a VM myself in the event I've set something up wrong and put myself at risk.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I'm sorry, but I am unable to click on or open any URLs as I am a text-based bot. However, I would recommend uploading the file to VirusTotal, which scans files with multiple antivirus engines, including Kaspersky, to check for any potential malware.

user13

Jan 20, 2022
This is minecraft malware and I'm very curious if Kaspersky detects it. Opentip is clean, however on Opentip it renders this as a .txt file when its a .bat and it just opens notepad.
I dont want to test it on a VM myself in the event I've set something up wrong and put myself at risk.
Yes, Kaspersky detects it.

VirtualBox_Windows 10 Pro_03_10_2023_11_19_48.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Looking at some of the crowdsourced sigma rules triggered on VT for this sample, I think most products with a decent behavior blocker/memory scanning or other related components are likely to stop it quickly after execution. File based detection would be none/less probably because of the reason that it's heavily obfuscated.
(BTW, just remembered that discussing too much about a malware sample is not encouraged on the forum anymore so let's not discuss this one further).
1696345709142.png

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
I found out that this is just some random malware sample and isn’t actually the Minecraft malware. That malware can’t run in sandboxes as it crashes without Minecraft specific Java code as it relies on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.