Can you hide partitions from ransomware?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am wondering whether Rollback Rx might actually be a convenient way to backup the C drive for recovery from a ransomware attack (and other attacks). This software stores snapshots of the C drive in a hidden partition, and even the free edition makes a new snapshot every day, when you boot. Besides that, it protects MBR from modifications.

Theoretically, ransomware could be programmed to see and encrypt all windows-compatible partitions, even hidden ones. The question is whether known types of ransomware actually do this. If they don't, then rollback seems to be a valid solution.

Please comment.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I think you can, in disk partition manager you can deny write access to partition you select, also you can hide it. Although when you want to store backups on that partition you would need to re-enable writing.

attributes disk set readonly

W

Wave

Yeah, follow the advice from @BoraMurdar.

That being said, it won't work for all ransomware, it depends on how it searches for the disks (enumeration), but most just use the normal Win32 APIs and don't do much to identify the hidden ones anyway.

It's a good idea though, you can also change the security descriptor on specific folders to prevent non-administrative processes from touching it (DACL protection); or use a file locker. In fact, you can encrypt files and then most ransomware will leave it alone!

Stay safe and good luck,
Wave. ;)

W

Wave

If the drive is ejected using the "Remove safely" right click is this a guarantee?
Probably not, since the device is still connected to the system, so even if it wasn't accessible by default than an exploit would do the job. It's better to just unplug your USB if it's not really in-use.

However you can alter the write protection for the removable device; this will prevent ransomware processes from encrypting the files on the drive. ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks. I'll look into options. Maybe a script would help to turn on/off the protection when backup program runs. Not the safest, but must back up sometime. I guess I would have to log into Admin acct to run backup with an associated script.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Probably not, since the device is still connected to the system, so even if it wasn't accessible by default than an exploit would do the job. It's better to just unplug your USB if it's not really in-use.

However you can alter the write protection for the removable device; this will prevent ransomware processes from encrypting the files on the drive. ;)
Until the malware gets admin access i guess. Maybe, probably, i don't know, i am guessing.

W

Wave

Can't the malware change the setting though if it has admin rights assuming a few security software decide this method of protecting drives is the best and it makes sense to code a workaround?
Somehow it can do this, even myself I am not sure what method it would use... Maybe the feature uses the registry or something - could be monitored and then that analysis could be used to make a circumvention for sure.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
You can use Secure Folder to set Deny Write (Read Only), Lock or Hide.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:

I am wondering whether Rollback Rx might actually be a convenient way to backup the C drive for recovery from a ransomware attack (and other attacks). This software stores snapshots of the C drive in a hidden partition, and even the free edition makes a new snapshot every day, when you boot. Besides that, it protects MBR from modifications.

Theoretically, ransomware could be programmed to see and encrypt all windows-compatible partitions, even hidden ones. The question is whether known types of ransomware actually do this. If they don't, then rollback seems to be a valid solution.

Please comment.

RBRx already does this by allowing access to only the current active snapshot. RBRx is a recovery software via rollback.

If you want the technical infos, then post over at the HDS forum. Sam will explain.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
RBRx already does this by allowing access to only the current active snapshot.
sounds good, I wonder why more people don't know about this? It's not a total solution, but it's good for a user who does his new work on C drive, and only stores static data on the other drives. He can make an occasional offline backup for those drives.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thats great app, i will take a look on it,!!

Edit: You know the official website, or softonic is trusted ?
The product is dead for a while now and official site also died. About softonic i have no clue but some member from here can probably link the original link i guess if you are still interested.

EDIT: They already linked you

sounds good, I wonder why more people don't know about this? It's not a total solution, but it's good for a user who does his new work on C drive, and only stores static data on the other drives. He can make an occasional offline backup for those drives.

There is another product called Drive Vaccine by HDS. If I recall correctly, the user can protect non-system partitions. Maybe not, I haven't looked recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.