Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
With the antivirus(es) disabled in SAP, you are mainly left with the application whitelisting feature.
Kaspersky at its default settings has "Application Control" that controls and limits the execution of executable files on your system, more or less like whitelisting (with different levels). Kaspersky classifies file into one of the following four categories depending on the digital signature status, rating/status of the file/application vendor ....
  • Trusted. Applications with a digital signature by trusted vendors, or applications which are recorded in the base of trusted applications. These applications have no restrictions applied on actions performed in the system. Those applications' activity is monitored by Proactive Defense and File Anti-Virus.
  • Low Restricted. Applications that do not have a digital signature from a trusted vendor, and which are not listed in the base of trusted applications. However, these applications have received low value of the threat rating. They are allowed to perform some operations, such as access to other processes, system control, hidden network access. The user's permission is required for most operations.
  • High Restricted. Applications without a digital signature and which are not listed in the base of trusted applications. These applications have a high value of the threat rating. The applications of this group require the user's permission for most actions which affect the system: some actions are not allowed for such applications.
  • Untrusted. Applications without a digital signature and which are not listed in the base of trusted applications. These applications have received a very high value of the threat rating. Application Control blocks any actions performed by such applications.

In short, Kaspersky very well limits or blocks the execution of unknown and risky files and hence, it makes little sense to complement it with SAP's whitelisting module.
Still, if you wish to run SAP's whitelisting mechanism, put SAP in exclusions of Kaspersky and disable Application Control in KIS.
However, I recommend using only KIS with Application Control enabled.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I could recommend SAP alongside Windows Defender but really Kaspersky does not need more reinforcements in my opinion.
SAP includes Microsoft Security Essentials in the engines list but the benefit of MS' cloud protection won't be in hands with SAP alone.
SAP will be a great combo with HMPA though, specially in cases where different non-detected items (acc. to AV results on blocking) are whitelisted by the user. What do you think :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I remember right, I tried this combo, and it works.
If you don't like to enable Kaspersky's Trusted Applications Mode, then I can understand why you would want to go for this combo.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
SAP includes Microsoft Security Essentials in the engines list but the benefit of MS' cloud protection won't be in hands with SAP alone.
SAP will be a great combo with HMPA though, specially in cases where different non-detected items (acc. to AV results on blocking) are whitelisted by the user. What do you think :)
I agree, well I used SAP & EAM and I can tell you that it certainly was not essential, also considering the excellent Emsisoft BB, even if well-configured via whitelisting approach, SAP is a good product.
Personally I had stability problems with SAP V. 4.60 and Shadow Defender; after the restart I got 99% CPU and very slow computer.
Not 100% sure it was the culprit but uninstalled it, everything worked.
My opinion is also conditioned by this event.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.