Advice Request Cannot block popup in uBo

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I am confused as hell right now. Disabling Adguard DNS in my Adguard VPN browser extension on Edge makes the popup appear. After enabling AdGuard DNS again it's being blocked. I will just wait for someone else to find a solution for you as all my solutions are only helping in my browser as it seems... :ROFLMAO:

This is where I'm at right now. Is it too early for an old-fashioned???!?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
No pop-up or cookie notice using Adguard extension using built-in lists optimized so I guess doesn't apply to OP.

How long can this thread go? To page 3 ... ? :LOL:

• +Reputation
Reactions: Shadowra and Kongo

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Just switch over to AdGuard extension. The earlier the better. Soon with Manifest v3 it will probably be one of the only options anyway. ;)

Well, I do have a lifetime license for AdGuard for Windows. But I found it to be much more obtrusive than uBo, and its features half-baked; such as its DNS lock.

Reactions: Kongo

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
No pop-up or cookie notice using Adguard exension using built-in lists optimized so I guess doesn't apply to OP.

How long can this thread go? To page 3 ... ? :LOL:
Actually solution is already on page 2
Using ubo picker but got lost in all posts :unsure:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well, I do have a lifetime license for AdGuard for Windows. But I found it to be much more obtrusive than uBo, and its features half-baked; such as its DNS lock.
And the extension? I mean I personally wouldn't switch to another extension just because of a popup, but as I said sooner or later you won't have many alternatives anyway.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Than you for these lists. Is the thinking behind using these lists locally in uBo (in addition to NextDNS?) that the former offers cosmetic filtering?
Yes, i hope that that the cosmetic rules in one of those filters will block that popup.
But like @SecureKongo said there are people like @Kees1958 and @Jan Willy that know how to write filters so their help would be preferred.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
These filters from @ JustinTime do seem to work for me. Can anyone verify? Side note, I think his cousin, JustinCase, tried to sell me insurance.

! 2022-02-21 https://www.azcentral.com ||cm.azcentral.com/overlay/entrance/021422_presidentsday_entrance$subdocument www.azcentral.com##.gnt_mol_oy

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
there are people like @Kees1958 and @Jan Willy know how to write filters so their help would be prefered.
I don't feel motivated to learn this skill or I'm too lazy. Advanced mode in µBO is as far as I'll go and like @SecureKongo said, it will probably go bye-bye with MV3 though the jury is still out on that proposition.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Thanks everyone for helping me with this! Wilders would never be like this. It sounds like maybe I, and everyone else, need to switch to AdGuard (or a non-browser-based blocking solution) sooner rather than later because of manifest v3. Is that assumption accurate? Also, bonus, I just went up a reputation level because of this thread!

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
These filters from @ JustinTime do seem to work for me. Can anyone verify? Side note, I think his cousin, JustinCase, tried to sell me insurance.

! 2022-02-21 https://www.azcentral.com ||cm.azcentral.com/overlay/entrance/021422_presidentsday_entrance$subdocument www.azcentral.com##.gnt_mol_oy
And those are done with the element picker of uBlock Origin:

Screenshot 2022-02-21 214826.png

Screenshot 2022-02-21 214910.png

So you just have to pick the first big window and click "Create" and after that the leftover cross and click "Create" again. This will add the rules you need. (y)

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
And those are done with the element picker of uBlock Origin:

View attachment 264521

View attachment 264522

So you just have to pick the first big window and click "Create" and after that the leftover cross and click "Create" again. This will add the rules you need. (y)

See, I tried that. Only with the element pickers rules there the elements themselves were go but the site itself was still dim, and there was nothing to click on to change that.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
See, I tried that. Only with the element pickers rules there the elements themselves were go but the site itself was still dim, and there was nothing to click on to change that.
For me everything is blocked and the site is crystal clear. But well, you got the rules working for you so it doesn't matter anyway. Just thought it might help you. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.