Troubleshoot Cannot install Antivirus on Windows 10!

np123

Thread author
Nov 14, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Bitdefender download gets to 99%, system hangs and explorer becomes unresponsive
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Restored older system image, tried again. Turned off Defender.
Hi all,

Struggling with this. I keep trying to install Bitdefender Internet Security, but the scan bit completes at 100%, and download gets to 99% and hangs.

I also tried Avira, but this hangs too at around 95%.

I have MBAM Pro installed - could this be blocking it? Anyone else having issues at all?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MBAM Pro shouldn't provide any conflicts since its not a full blown AV.

I think you need to conduct a repair by use the CMD as Administrator

sfc /scannow
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
chkdsk C: /f

Reactions: Kent
Upvote 0

np123

Thread author
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks. Just tried that, and it said it found erros which it fixed. Then the DISM tool did restore an image. And then I tried again but same thing. The odd thing is that the file explorer seems to crash, cant open settings, click on folders etc.

Upvote 0

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Disable MBAM real-time protection and self-protection while you install BD; re-enable those afterwards and put each product on the other's exception list.

Reactions: Moose
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Have you try to update Windows 10 Service Release 1 from Windows Update? That should fix any bugs including Windows Explorer/File Explorer crashed.

Reactions: Moose
Upvote 0

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Have you try to update Windows 10 Service Release 1 from Windows Update? That should fix any bugs including Windows Explorer/File Explorer crashed.
I'm still on IP builds on my desktop for a few weeks before I rebuild it with Win7, upgrade, then clean install, so, yes, I have the latest updates but I still have quirkiness from all the in-place upgrades (one example: Mail is completely broken/unfixable on the desktop but not the cleanly installed laptop--in Microsoft Pure Genius it tells me to delete the account to fix it but it also says I cannot delete the MSA from Mail--now that is utter garbage). I haven't used the laptop much yet so I cannot say whether Explorer crashes regularly on it.

I dropped MBAM from Real-time protection since it didn't really offer much more in detection than Qihoo already does.

Upvote 0

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
According to me most of the antivirus available in market is still incompatible with with Windows 10. So, when you download any antivirus make sure that they are compatible with windows 10.

Reactions: OokamiCreed
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.