Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Every time I click Open on the Windows Live Installer executable it fails to execute, and the folder I had it in instantly disappears. I tried a number of folders, and I've tried Run, and the same thing always happens. The file is big, 214 MB, but I think I've successfully run installation files bigger than that.

Should I try to install it in Safe Mode? I don't even know if that's possible.

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
74.5 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA)
Free 40.53 GB
3.67 GB Lexar USB Flash DriveUSB Device (USB)
119.22 GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan free

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Are you absolutely sure this is a genuine Windows executable? That behaviour sounds suspiciously like a rootkit ;)

Also, when you say the folder disappears, does the window also close? Or does the folder simply disappear if you navigate out of it and come back to it?

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Download this utility and post the hash of the file up for us to check :)

http://www.winmd5.com/

Thank you for that link. I get Current file MD5 checksum value as 0eccb0ff4ebe3a95c894022994fb1738. Of course I don't know what to do with it.

Are you absolutely sure this is a genuine Windows executable? That behaviour sounds suspiciously like a rootkit ;)/QUOTE]\

I'm using UpdateStar, utilizing Direct Download rather than the UpdateStar download. I checked the file with my context menu security programs : Roboscan, Webroot, SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Iobit Malware Fighter. They found no problems with it. Unfortunately it's too big for the multi-scanners, except WinMHR, which passed it.

Also, when you say the folder disappears, does the window also close? Or does the folder simply disappear if you navigate out of it and come back to it?

The window of the folder just vanishes immediately from my taskbar and Task Manager. I first tried it with F, my flash drive, then C, then a couple of other folders, including the Installer folder for Windows Live.

Have you tried shutting down Roboscan & then trying it. Sometimes AV's Block or interfere with installation ?

Just tried that, and the same thing happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have just run into HORRENDOUS glitches with the Quote and Edit features on this page. It took me half an hour just to undo this webpage's screwing up of my previous post here.

That file is perfectly clean :)

Just curious : what did you use to check it?

So next step I would try as marg said and disable your anti-virus before executing.

See my reply to Marg above, which was obscured by my initially botching the quote mechanism. So it looks like I'm back where I started. I have had innumerabkle forms of misbehavior by my computer, but this is the first time I have run into this inability to run an installation file.

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Perhaps some useless questions here, but they will help me to work out what is wrong (so apologies in advance if any seem really stupid or obvious) :)

* Have you tried running the file as administrator?
* Is the file extension .EXE or .MSI?
* When you run the file, do you get any kind of error?
* ^ Does the folder get deleted immediately (window closes and it's gone) or is the folder deleted when you come back to it?
* If you run the installer with task manager open, does the process just appear and then disappear? Or does it hang around a while?

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Perhaps some useless questions here, but they will help me to work out what is wrong (so apologies in advance if any seem really stupid or obvious) :)

No need for apologies; I really appreciate your persistence.

* Have you tried running the file as administrator?
* Is the file extension .EXE or .MSI?
* When you run the file, do you get any kind of error?
* ^ Does the folder get deleted immediately (window closes and it's gone) or is the folder deleted when you come back to it?
* If you run the installer with task manager open, does the process just appear and then disappear? Or does it hang around a while?

* I only utilize an administrator-privileges account.
* .exe (See the screenshot. The other files in that folder say they are 4 years old.)
* No error message appears.
* Immediately--ZAP!
* I only see the containing folder on Task Manager. The process of the installation file I don't see. I have been looking at the Applications tab rather than Processes tab.
I just tried it again and looked instead at Process Explorer. What I saw was a second explorer.exe open. Then a DrWatson quickly appears under that explorer.exe. Then both processes quickly vanish.

Attachments

• Windows Live installer.PNG
    Windows Live installer.PNG
    148.4 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hm a very strange problem, I don't understand why a second explorer.exe process is spawning.

Could you upload the most recently created .wlg file in the following folder:

C\Windows\Drwatson

They will look like this Watson???.wlg

Can't promise I can help you but I'll do my best, the DrWatson logs contain so much information it's like trying to debug a BSOD :(

In the mean time all I can advise would be downloading the installer again and trying once more, I believe this is the correct one: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29219

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Hm a very strange problem, I don't understand why a second explorer.exe process is spawning.

I use Process Explorer a lot to monitor my system. Having a junior explorer.exe open under the big daddy explorer.exe is very common.

Could you upload the most recently created .wlg file in the following folder:

C\Windows\Drwatson

They will look like this Watson???.wlg

I'm having difficulty. C\Windows\Drwatson is not an address on my system. I searched Drwatson with MasterSeeker. I only find drwatson.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and a totally meaningless drwatson.log. (All it says is "Start Dr. Watson 1.00b - Mon Jun 30 00:58:15 2014".)

I came up empty on MasterSeeker with "wlg". Is this maybe something not on XP?

In the mean time all I can advise would be downloading the installer again and trying once more, I believe this is the correct one: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29219

Thank you very much for that. It says 2011. Looks like another abused child of Microsoft. :(

Reactions: Cowpipe
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've read the entire thread, up to this point, and before I'll retire (hopefully) for four hours of blissful unconsciousness, conceptualclarity, if I perchance to dream may it be that of a fellow member whom also bears the noble XP Banner and bravely soldiers forward shall be on a road that rises up to meet you,
with the wind always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and when we meet again,
may the hand that guides your mouse once more click upon a smoothly working cursor which moves across the desktop of your XP system that has found it's way back home to you once again!;):)

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I'm having difficulty. C\Windows\Drwatson is not an address on my system. I searched Drwatson with MasterSeeker. I only find drwatson.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and a totally meaningless drwatson.log. (All it says is "Start Dr. Watson 1.00b - Mon Jun 30 00:58:15 2014".)

I came up empty on MasterSeeker with "wlg". Is this maybe something not on XP?

Sorry @conceptualclarity I'm afraid I've been awake far too long and getting tired so probably not giving the best advice ;) I'll have a think about this and try to get a response to you later when I'm more awake :)

In the mean time, have a search for the installer you're looking for and download it directly from Microsoft, and see if that works out, sorry I can't be of more use right now

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

When I try to run that executable I get "not a valid win32 application." I suppose that translates as "won't work on XP".

You have downloaded the wrong version of Windows Live installer, you have to download the older version 2009 for XP here , Microsoft dropped support for XP. 2012 version only supports Vista, 7 & 8.

Complete download page is here- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/download-windows-essentials#wetabs=wl2009

Thanks. If it's 2009 I can't imagine it's newer than my 14.0.8117.0416.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Marg, I tried to view your post today but got a message that I didn't have permission. Was it a friends-only deal or something?

Upvote 0

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Not to my knowledge. We had all kinds of replies on the thread. It was close to 30 or more post. We had a member who apparently had his account hacked. The hacker was posting all kinds of vulgar things to Cowpipe. The Admin erased all the vulgar posts maybe thats why you could not read it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.