Troubleshoot Captcha.info removal

Infected operating system
Android
Infected device
ZTE V8 Blade
Infected device issues
Pop-up virus with unwanted advertisements (dating sites, nude girls, etc. Obviously they don´t care I am also a woman and have totally no interest in such things :(. Anyway I don´t want any kind of unwanted ads, especially that they can also contain other harmful stuff)
I have AVG antivirus on my device, I ran it also, but it did not find any threats.
Steps taken to remove the infection
I followed the guidlines found all over on internet: switched my smartphone to safe mode, went in Settings --> Apps, where I should have been able to spot the newly installed malware. Sadly I cannot identify it, my smartphone gives no help for it (no listing of newly installed apps, or no possibility to check, when was a certain app installed). None of my apps seems unfamiliar to me.

Tengelice

Thread author
May 4, 2019
Hi,
my Android device is infected with captcha.info. I was searching for a website for a language tandem partner finder, when I was asked to confirm that I was not a robot. Sadly I did it, so this virus was installed. Since then I got pop-ups, now I switched my smartphone to a safe mode and turn off internet. I have read websites of how can I remove it, the problem is I cannot identify the malware file. I should spot it when I go to Settings --> Apps, but I just cannot find anything that does not belong there. My stupid phone also cannot order my apps according to "date of download" or sth like that. Now I don´t dare to turn internet on it, and actually nowhere was that written, that any other app would remove it for me.... can someone help please...?

Reactions: upnorth

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @Tengelice,
Welcome to MalwareTips! Lets try these steps:

These steps are for Google Chrome running on Android devices.

1. Tap on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three vertical dots. When the drop-down menu appears, tap on the option labeled “Settings“.
  2. Chrome’s “Settings” menu should now be displayed, scroll down to the “Advanced” section and tap on “Site Settings“.
  3. In the “Site Settings” menu, tap on “Notifications“.
  4. The “Notifications” options will open and you will be presented with a list with sites that you have “Blocked” and “Allowed” to send you notifications. In the “Allowed” section, scroll through the list until you find the Captcha.info site, then tap on it, then click the “Clean & Reset” button that appears on the bottom on the window.
  5. A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, detailing the actions that will be taken should you continue on with the reset process. To complete the clean-up process, click on the “Clean & Reset” button.
Next, in the Notifications menu, the slider is set to Ask before sending (recommended), but feel free to move it to Block if you wish to block notifications completely.

Let me know if this will fix your issues.

Tengelice

Thread author
May 4, 2019
Dear JAck,

thank you a lot! I did all the steps. Other sites however suggested that a malware is also planted on my device - seems it is not a necessary scenario? Is my smartphone (and my data on it) safe now, or do I need to do other steps? Which (free) antivirus do you suggest for Android?
Thank you for your time, and for the useful tips :)

Reactions: upnorth and Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dear JAck,

thank you a lot! I did all the steps. Other sites however suggested that a malware is also planted on my device - seems it is not a necessary scenario? Is my smartphone (and my data on it) safe now, or do I need to do other steps? Which (free) antivirus do you suggest for Android?
Thank you for your time, and for the useful tips :)
Hey @Tengelice,
Your phone is fine, however if you want to double check l, you could run a scan with Malwarebytes Free Malwarebytes Mobile Security — Antivirus for Android.
In the latest moths there have been a lot sites that show users fake error messages to trick them into subscribing to browser Notifications, so I would suggest that in browser Notifications menu, you move the slider from Ask before sending to Block to block notifications completely.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.