Career Upgrade

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
So I am happy being an IT Professional but the pay at my current company kinda sucks. I got a raise but only 3% of my annual salary. So I started look at other jobs and sending out my resume. I applied for a career as a Systems Engineer. Well weeks later the emailed me and set up an interview. The interview went very well. The fact that I don't have a degree did not effect anything,after all he called me for an interview. What impressed the company so much was my 20 years as an automotive technician. I was like "What". They said it proves to them I have very good trouble shooting experience. They also liked how I ran my own home pc repair business. I have been praying so I hope this job pans out. The pay is twice as much as I am making now. Cross your fingers.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Good luck! I guess the requirements vary from country to country, I highly doubt that one can get a job as a System Engineer without a degree where I am living. I'm blaming the poor economy, I guess.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Bogdan..................A degree means nothing. Its just a piece of paper. It doesn't mean you actually know what you are doing.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
I don't have to. They tell me. There are hundreds of jobs that say "degree" required but yet if you are qualified enough you can get the job without a degree. Just cause you don't have a degree does not mean you wont get the job. No piece of paper can replace experience.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
When all else is equal the degree will normally be the tie breaker, the best interview wins the prize. Good Luck

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Good luck Diesel, hope you'll get it. Sad that you left our automotive life.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.