CCleaner upgrade blocked by Eset!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
This is ESET's optional PUP protection in action. You get to choose to enable this when installing.

Picture related:

27kuqRK.png

CCleaner's installer comes bundled with an OPTIONAL Google Toolbar / Chrome install.

As with any toolbar offer these are potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to some hence why ESET kicks in and gives you warning.

This not a serious real threat nor is it a false positive. FileHippo is a safe reputable website also.

No need to be freaking out.

Thanks.

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
CCleaner's installer comes bundled with an OPTIONAL Google Toolbar.

Thanks.

The installer I've downloaded from piriform servers does not come with Google Toolbar bundled. :confused:
Anyway, Google Toolbar isn't a real/big problem. :D

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Well i just installed it(the one flagged by eset), but it didn't install the toolbar!:confused:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
CCleaner installer tries to install stupid google toolbar, which is bundled in installation file, so ESET detects it.
In portable edition there's no google toolbar so ESET doesn't detect anything.
It happens all the time with installers bundled with toolbars.
ESET... always ruthless to to adwares ^^

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
[...] but it didn't install the toolbar!:confused:

That is because it's optional ;)

Note: The builds page on Piriforms website used to offer a slim version of CCleaner (Installer without the toolbar / Chrome offer)
How ever I noticed they no longer offer this as a Download and the old link for it is non-functional.
(http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim/downloadfile)

The last Slim build was back in the 23rd of December 2013 as listed by TechSpot and MajorGeeks.

I just downloaded the latest CCleaner Installer from this page and did get the toolbar offer/ or Chrome offer but as you can see it's completely optional.

783ikC7.png

Thanks.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks to all for the input!!:)

Reactions: PVA_BR

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Hum.... just wondering... as I have Chrome already instaled, maybe the installer does not offer me to install chrome or googletoolbar. In fact, a little tweaking in the ccleaner installer itself revealed me the presence of both chrome and google toolbar installers packed with ccleaner... Eset is right, but it's not a 'real' thread, you know... :rolleyes::p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Piriforms offers a slim version of CCleaner but it comes out about a week or so later after
the newest version comes out thay have been doing that for a while now

if one wants the newest version without waiting for the slim version with no toolbar you
should go with the Portable version thats what i do i use to wait for the slim version
but found it to be a joke to have to wait when there is the Portable one

Portable no install delete and it's gone

:)

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.