CCleaner - Installer
CCleaner - Portable

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Thanks, but I've not used this program since it's name was changed. What's the main reason for running a tool like this?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks, but I've not used this program since it's name was changed. What's the main reason for running a tool like this?
Well, as popular as it is, in my opinion it became a "must-have-tool" on any system. My main reason of using it? Cleaning the web cashe, cookies and temporary files in two clicks.

L

LabZero

Well, Ccleaner, which certainly doesn't need additional explanations, is one of the more reliable and powerful maintenance programs for Windows, capable of cleaning the disk and erase the traces of temporary files, junk files and invalid registry keys without creating stability problems to the system.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Yeah I've noticed everyone seems to use it. Maybe I'm just too lazy - two clicks is a lot when compared to doing absolutely nothing ;)

In all seriousness, I will take another look and see what all the fuss is about. I'm not convinced deleting a few temporary files makes that much difference, unless you need the space.

Reactions: frogboy

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Well, Ccleaner, which certainly doesn't need additional explanations, is one of the more reliable and powerful maintenance programs for Windows, capable of cleaning the disk and erase the traces of temporary files, junk files and invalid registry keys without creating stability problems to the system.

Well, if someone of your experience says it's reliable then I will definitely give it serious consideration.

I've been burnt by so called registry fixers before (okay, it was 10 year ago) so have always avoided them like the plague. Maybe they've improved and are no longer 'snake oil'.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well, if someone of your experience says it's reliable then I will definitely give it serious consideration.

I've been burnt by so called registry fixers before (okay, it was 10 year ago) so have always avoided them like the plague. Maybe they've improved and are no longer 'snake oil'.
CCleaner is very safe and you do not have to clean your registry if you do not want to. just analyze and run the cleaner section in the opening window. ;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I'm not convinced deleting a few temporary files makes that much difference, unless you need the space.
Having 2GB or 200GB of free space doesn't matter, if computer has a few GBs of webcache it is a big deal as it will progressively slow down a system, especially those which are still on HDDs. Cleaning the temps leads to an optimum level of functions because storing so much unneeded files may slow down the computer, and with nowadays internet speeds it can pass unnoticeable whether the browser is loading the files from the cached copies or it's downloading them again.
Also, cleaning cache can also resolve problems like a web page that hangs or freezes, a browser which is continually just loading, and online applications like games, music, movies and a lot more that are not usually responding.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Having 2GB or 200GB of free space doesn't matter, if computer has a few GBs of webcache it is a big deal as it will progressively slow down a system, especially those which are still on HDDs. Cleaning the temps leads to an optimum level of functions because storing so much unneeded files may slow down the computer, and with nowadays internet speeds it can pass unnoticeable whether the browser is loading the files from the cached copies or it's downloading them again.
Also, cleaning cache can also resolve problems like a web page that hangs or freezes, a browser which is continually just loading, and online applications like games, music, movies and a lot more that are not usually responding.

All of your points are valid, especially housekeeping to resolve problems, which is the one I always forget about. I just end up doing it manually as I don't have much faith in 'cleaning' tools.

But a new dawn has arrived. All of your comments, for which I am grateful, have convinced me I need to put my fears of old behind me and give CC a chance. Thank you everyone.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
All of your points are valid, especially housekeeping to resolve problems, which is the one I always forget about. I just end up doing it manually as I don't have much faith in 'cleaning' tools.

But a new dawn has arrived. All of your comments, for which I am grateful, have convinced me I need to put my fears of old behind me and give CC a chance. Thank you everyone.
I am glad I could help ;)

Reactions: askmark

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
CCleaner is very safe and you do not have to clean your registry if you do not want to. just analyze and run the cleaner section in the opening window. ;)

Thanks.

Have you used it to clean your registry? Have you ever had a problems as a result of the registry cleaning?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Sorry to interfere, just to add that CCleaner's Registry Cleaner is not that aggressive as other Registry Cleaners I encountered. Never had any problem with that CCleaner's component, but for just in case it is always recommended to backup registry when playing with this kind of tools

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I never ever clean my registry period there is much evidence that no system improvement is achieved by this. ;)

Yeah, I'm still of the firm opinion it's unnecessary and more likely to do more harm than good.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Sorry to interfere, just to add that CCleaner's Registry Cleaner is not that aggressive as other Registry Cleaners I encountered. Never had any problem with that CCleaner's component, but for just in case it is always recommended to backup registry when playing with this kind of tools

Thanks for the advice. To be safe, I'm going to give the registry cleaner a miss.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Registry clean up can help in some cases such as slowdowns in the startup as the computer tries to run software no longer installed or the right click menu making references to old software but it really is the user's choice whether he wants to edit the registry manually or if he wants to use an automated tool. I know many tools out there that do more damage than good.

Reactions: askmark
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.