Battle CCleaner vs. Wise Disk Cleaner - An objective comparison

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
The only thing I changed on WDC, was to eliminate the homescreen ad (blocked outgoing connection).

Common Cleaner... everything is checked EXCEPT Windows WinSxs Backup and Windows Update files. Useful cookies are added as exclusions.
Advanced Cleaner... No changes made to Advanced Settings. I scan all partitions.
Slimming System... I ignore suggestions here.
Disk Defrag... Use only to see the reg defrag Analyze. I've never actually defragged.

Last edited:

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Have you given thought to using built in cleaners of OS and browsers, it is what i do, and it is sufficient. I avoid 3rd party applications as much as possible.
I use Disk Cleaner for nearly everything else, I only use CCleaner for a 1-click Chrome cleanup. I have also used WDC on previous setups, and it works quite well when you don't use any of the extra "features". I've stopped using system utilities to clean up system files though, browser files only.

I

illumination

I use Disk Cleaner for nearly everything else, I only use CCleaner for a 1-click Chrome cleanup. I have also used WDC on previous setups, and it works quite well when you don't use any of the extra "features". I've stopped using system utilities to clean up system files though, browser files only.
I keep my machine light n lean, just a couple 3rd party utility applications required for our needs and that is it. It keeps the system light/fast and uncluttered, reduces the amount of extra bugs maintaining better stability and most importantly reduces the surface of attack. WDC combined with some manual house cleaning is quite sufficient. Then I defrag via cmd using the built in disk defragmenter as well.

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
CCleaner is more of a browser cleaner, WDC cleans a bit more, including Windows Update files (Slimming), though you can easily add that to CCleaner:
Code:
del "%WINDIR%\Installer\$PatchCache$" /s /f /q
del "%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /f /q
del "%WINDIR%\WinSxS\Backup" /s /f /q
CCleaner's advantage is in setting cookie exceptions, which WDC lacks (they do not really work properly).
You can test them yourself, install both, run scans and compare. Do not forget, that WDC has also Advanced Cleaner.

And how am i suppose to add these options to CCleaner?

Kwan ST

Level 2
Verified
Dec 22, 2016
And how am i suppose to add these options to CCleaner?

Capture.JPG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I am currently using Privacy Eraser and Wise Disk Cleaner. So far so good with no problem of using these two for more than a month. Avast ruined CCleaner. :(
if avast ruined ccleaner, just simply use the older version before avast's acquisition. I use ccleaner 5.39 or 5.32, before it having the new stupid Ui

I don't know why people keep complaining about this while just use a firewall to block ccleaner.exe or ccleaner64.exe would block all ccleaner's internet connection and telemetry
never check for update or just update yourself via the portable version

ccleaner+ccenhancer + wise disk cleaner are the best free combo in the world which support automatic/scheduled cleanup. I schedule them to run every week on Sunday

ccleaner+ccenhancer is the best application-specific cleaner (AVs, pdf readers, browsers, tools...)
wise is the strong general, windows cleaner

probably kerish cleaner is a better tool but not free and not portable

Last edited:

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Some of you have tried with norton utilities?, I understand that they bought the rights to PCtools and now they only develop their program Registry Mechanic specially for Norton,.
Here screenshot.
Registry Mechanic Norton Utilities
registry-mechanic_main_large.png513952-norton-utilities-16.jpg
I did try it when it was Registry Mechanic, and it was very good, so much so that others pirates copied-cloned their design and engine inside other cleaners.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Wise Disk Cleaner is pretty good, what Settings are you have?
I clean everything except cookies and 2 explorer entries, otherwise it would reset Windows Explorer's custom view.
capture_07142018_144719.jpg

I use this at shutdown (no advanced cleaning for WDC, because it just takes too long lately, I use it only after Windows Updates):
Code:
fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe
start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Wise\Wise Disk Cleaner\WiseDiskCleaner.exe" -a
start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Wise\Wise Registry Cleaner\WiseRegCleaner.exe" -a -all
shutdown /s /f /t 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.