1. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Both are Chromium-based browsers

Cent browser is now based on Chromium v55. Slimjet browser is now based Chromium v53. Its Chromium v55 is now in beta.

Any significant advantages for both over one another? How about disadvantages? Any additional security/privacy add-ons?

It's true that if they use Chrome as their search engine they'll perform very fast. What if they are not using Chrome as their search engine, like StartPage, how's the speed performance of both?

Thanks

frogboy and TerrakionSmash like this.
  2. Bryan Lam

Bryan Lam Level 3

Apr 19, 2015
    Entrepreneur
    Sydney, NSW
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    You shouldn't focus on the browser distribution but instead on chromium itself. Updates and patches are released for a reason, every new update or patch fixes issues.

You can find the changelog here

Chromium Blog

So in thought, the change between each version should be feature and security filled.
    Therefore, i'd pick Cent Browser

frogboy and TerrakionSmash like this.
  3. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    So when Slimjet releases its v55 Chromium browser would you still pick Cent browser? Why?

4. Bryan Lam

Bryan Lam Level 3

Apr 19, 2015
    Entrepreneur
    Sydney, NSW
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Given the customisability of Cent Browser and the cleaner UI, i'd go with it. This is just my opinion though. Also, the design of Slimjet lacks that pulling effect of getting users to use it. Sure it's a good browser but it doesnt look good. Even if you want security, or privacy or even features, I wouldn't pick something with a bad look. Put it this way, you get an expensive car and have lots of cool features and is basically unstealable, but the car is ugly. You don't want to drive around in an ugly car. Nor do you want to be seen in public with such a browser. I know my analogy is kind of stupid but it really is your choice.

frogboy likes this.
  5. Adz.

Adz. Level 1

Dec 15, 2016
    elsewhere
    Vote for cent, switched from google chrome to cent. Found that cent is faster in terms of loading pages (from my test) also the privacy and security is brilliant on it. It's also based on Chromium v55 recently.

To be honest, i have both cent and slimjet, i find both to be same really but in design i'd go for cent.

and yes, cent has gestures which i love using.

frogboy likes this.
  6. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Slimjet also has mouse gestures. If Slimjet releases its v55 Chomium-based browser would you still choose Cent? Why?

7. Adz.

Adz. Level 1

Dec 15, 2016
    elsewhere
    Slim catches up on to v55, i think i'll stick with Cent, i find it better working for me in terms of speed and design, the updates are very good, the support i find are friendly and fast when it comes to solving your issue.

8. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe
    Slimjet all the way. Slimjet is updated regularly while Cent is not updated. Slimjet has more privacy settings. Slimjet is just better.

BugCode likes this.
  9. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    I have used both browsers.
    I like the turbocharged download manager of Slimjet.
    Cent has a few more settings for privacy.
    Both browsers are good but i prefer Cent because it has better performance on my system.
    It uses less CPU about 2- 5% less than other chromium based browsers.

10. kaerula3

kaerula3 Level 1

Nov 26, 2016
    Vietnam
    Although Slimjet offers more features than Cent does such as built-in AdBlocker, Turbo Download Manager... they are not mature enough that I'd rather find other alternatives like uBlock/ Adguard, Free Download Manager... like I did with all chromium browsers I've tried.

Having said that, settings in Cent is more customizable (not just how many are offered) & I find them more useful. Cent also has better performance on my systems.

So you get what I voted for.

TerrakionSmash, Adz. and tonibalas like this.
  11. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    @kaerula3 Slimjet built-in adblocker you are right isn't good.
    We have to use another adblocker to get the job done.
    About turbocharged download manager i was satisfied with it's performance and i would like to see a tool like that in Cent.
    As for privacy settings when i said more i also meant useful;)

frogboy, Sr. Normal 2.0 and kaerula3 like this.