HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Both are Chromium-based browsers

Cent browser is now based on Chromium v55. Slimjet browser is now based Chromium v53. Its Chromium v55 is now in beta.

Any significant advantages for both over one another? How about disadvantages? Any additional security/privacy add-ons?

It's true that if they use Chrome as their search engine they'll perform very fast. What if they are not using Chrome as their search engine, like StartPage, how's the speed performance of both?

Thanks

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
You shouldn't focus on the browser distribution but instead on chromium itself. Updates and patches are released for a reason, every new update or patch fixes issues.

You can find the changelog here

Chromium Blog

So in thought, the change between each version should be feature and security filled.
Therefore, i'd pick Cent Browser

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You shouldn't focus on the browser distribution but instead on chromium itself. Updates and patches are released for a reason, every new update or patch fixes issues.

You can find the changelog here

Chromium Blog

So in thought, the change between each version should be feature and security filled.
Therefore, i'd pick Cent Browser
So when Slimjet releases its v55 Chromium browser would you still pick Cent browser? Why?

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Given the customisability of Cent Browser and the cleaner UI, i'd go with it. This is just my opinion though. Also, the design of Slimjet lacks that pulling effect of getting users to use it. Sure it's a good browser but it doesnt look good. Even if you want security, or privacy or even features, I wouldn't pick something with a bad look. Put it this way, you get an expensive car and have lots of cool features and is basically unstealable, but the car is ugly. You don't want to drive around in an ugly car. Nor do you want to be seen in public with such a browser. I know my analogy is kind of stupid but it really is your choice.

Reactions: frogboy

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
Vote for cent, switched from google chrome to cent. Found that cent is faster in terms of loading pages (from my test) also the privacy and security is brilliant on it. It's also based on Chromium v55 recently.

To be honest, i have both cent and slimjet, i find both to be same really but in design i'd go for cent.

and yes, cent has gestures which i love using.

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Vote for cent, switched from google chrome to cent. Found that cent is faster in terms of loading pages (from my test) also the privacy and security is brilliant on it. It's also based on Chromium v55 recently.

To be honest, i have both cent and slimjet, i find both to be same really but in design i'd go for cent.

and yes, cent has gestures which i love using.
Slimjet also has mouse gestures. If Slimjet releases its v55 Chomium-based browser would you still choose Cent? Why?

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
Slimjet also has mouse gestures. If Slimjet releases its v55 Chomium-based browser would you still choose Cent? Why?

Slim catches up on to v55, i think i'll stick with Cent, i find it better working for me in terms of speed and design, the updates are very good, the support i find are friendly and fast when it comes to solving your issue.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I have used both browsers.
I like the turbocharged download manager of Slimjet.
Cent has a few more settings for privacy.
Both browsers are good but i prefer Cent because it has better performance on my system.
It uses less CPU about 2- 5% less than other chromium based browsers.

kaerula3

Level 1
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Although Slimjet offers more features than Cent does such as built-in AdBlocker, Turbo Download Manager... they are not mature enough that I'd rather find other alternatives like uBlock/ Adguard, Free Download Manager... like I did with all chromium browsers I've tried.

Having said that, settings in Cent is more customizable (not just how many are offered) & I find them more useful. Cent also has better performance on my systems.

So you get what I voted for.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@kaerula3 Slimjet built-in adblocker you are right isn't good.
We have to use another adblocker to get the job done.
About turbocharged download manager i was satisfied with it's performance and i would like to see a tool like that in Cent.
As for privacy settings when i said more i also meant useful;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.