Cerenas's Security Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerenas

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 7, 2017
I'm in IT so I have some basic knowledge about security and keeping myself from harm. No visiting or clicking on shady websites or ads.

All of my accounts have 2FA (the ones that support it like Microsoft, Google, Steam, LastPass etc.). Almost all of my accounts are registered with a random generated password with LastPass (some websites don't support long passwords somehow).

Windows Defender is configured to scan weekly, besides that I'm running Malwarebytes scan once in a while. Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 is in default settings with every security option on and checking for updates every hour.

I try to keep all my applications up-to-date as well as my drivers.

No need for backup of Windows or other partitions. Backup in place for important files with Acronis True Image. A lot of other stuff is also saved online (LastPass, OneDrive, Chrome settings/history, Windows settings, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: WPMan Pro

Cerenas

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 7, 2017
bitdefender 2017 or 2018
2018, like mentioned in my post. It's the recent beta they put online.

I would suggest you enable UAC and Macrium Reflect for backups and system images. ;)

Thanks for sharing with us at MT. :)
I second this advice. Enable UAC and use something for system images at the very least, being in IT you know things such as hardware failure or critical system file corruption can and do happen.
Thanks for your comments, I'll enable UAC when I get home. I'm currently not using backups because all my important files are on OneDrive (I also use the setting that puts user folders on OneDrive, like My Pictures, My Documents, etc.). But since both of you recommend it, is there still a reason to do backups beside that? I can imagine files on OneDrive could get corrupted if they're also corrupted on your computer.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm currently not using backups because all my important files are on OneDrive (I also use the setting that puts user folders on OneDrive, like My Pictures, My Documents, etc.)
Because of the synchronization, unfortunately, the files on Onedrive may be at risk for ransomware.
For this reason, the offline backup is always the best thing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider a system backup solution.
Yo might consider an additional on demand scanner such as ESET Online Scanner.
Consider adding HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome as well as Privacy badger.
Aside from the lack of a system backup you have a nice secure Windows 10 config!
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: JM Safe and Cerenas

Cerenas

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 7, 2017
Consider a system backup solution.
Yo might consider an additional on demand scanner such as ESET Online Scanner.
Consider adding HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome as well as Privacy badger.
Aside from the lack of a system backup you have a nice secure Windows 10 config!
Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Thanks for your reply!

I changed some things this evening;
Enabled UAC.
Installed Acronis True Image 2017 (still had a key for this from a Humble Bundle), immediately made a backup of important files and moved the backup to an external HDD that's tucked away in a drawer.

No need for backup of Windows or other partitions. Backup in place for important files with Acronis True Image now. A lot of other stuff is also saved online (LastPass, OneDrive, Chrome settings/history, Windows settings, etc.). So a Windows reinstall only consists of installing some software and loging into accounts and I'm ready to go.

Edit: Also running HitmanPro.Alert trial at the moment. Might buy it if I can find a cheap offer on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.