Battle CF(cruelsister's settings) + Qihoo/KFA/KAV

minegroasprilla

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 21, 2014
Hi.
If I want to use CF (cruelsister's settings) with another antivirus, Which is the best choice: Qihoo or KasperskyFree or KasperkyAntivirus?.

Reactions: ZeroDay

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I got your point. Kaspersky Free offers signatures and CF offers the rest of advanced protection components. The two complement each other. Is there a significant performance hit?
if you have 1-2 year old pc specs, you won't notice any performance issue. there isn't much difference in KFA and WD regarding memory consumption. turning off IM & Mail shield will give you a slight edge if needed. also add exclusions to known folders and checkout the settings->performance section.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
if you have 1-2 year old pc specs, you won't notice any performance issue. there isn't much difference in KFA and WD regarding memory consumption. turning off IM & Mail shield will give you a slight edge if needed. also add exclusions to known folders and checkout the settings->performance section.
Thanks for pointing this out. I would rather stick with KIS it has not failed me and no significant slowdowns unless I disable “trust digitally signed applications”and I still have more than 560 days remaining in my subscription :).

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
If I remember correctly, ForgottenSeer 58943 told me that Forticlient has an option to avoid that and does not affect the performance. Also Qihoo has an option to avoid uploading files without asking.
well since Qihoo is licensing signatures, they can afford to do that
Forticlient, not sure.
but to answer your question, all Kaspersky products upload unknown files to analyze.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

If I remember correctly, ForgottenSeer 58943 told me that Forticlient has an option to avoid that and does not affect the performance. Also Qihoo has an option to avoid uploading files without asking.

If you want to run totally silent, FortiClient is one of the few solutions that will do that for you. They have to, Fortinet stuff is used in situations where it is critical no telemetry and logging takes place or it won't pass vetting and clearances.

I despise 'Noisy' programs, it's a risk. It increases exposure. It's an annoyance. I understand why firms do it, and if you do it, at least do it over encrypted channels - and most don't... Incredibly frustrating.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I see no problem in uploading unknown files you could be uploading a true zero day and by doing so helping to protect millions of users. That's what cloud protection is about. Imagine how many unknown files that get uploaded are actually malicious. There's a big difference between telemetry and uploading unknown files to the cloud to be scanned or further checked out it could also help a lot with possible FP's. If you don't want to upload unknown files automatically then I'd also switch of your AV's cloud if it allows you to do so because why should someone who's not contributing unknown files to help the wider community benefit from other users doing so? A lot of the signature updates we get come from the uploading of those unknown files.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
some people are not comfortable with this approch, so yes, it's still discussed.
I've noticed that WD cause noticeable performance hit on system that still use HDD. People need realize that one person's system spec is differ from the other. WD is more than enough paired with CF, we know it. But if it degrade the system performance which in the end affect the usability then it's more than a valid reason to look after another alternatives.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Awesome for the CF-Crlstrcfg, someday i will try with your CFhardening-personalization+Nod32 on another free pc. I hope that my computer doesn't feel hectic. 4gbram core i3 2.8ghz hdd5400rpm

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
KAF uploads suspicious files to the cloud without authorization?
you can opt-out of automatic file submission by disabling KSN (settings -> additionals)
as far as I know, kaspersky/KSN doesn't upload your file. it just uploads some information related to the file but not the file itself

If you agree to participate in the Kaspersky Security Network service, the application will automatically send the following data to Kaspersky Lab servers:
  • Checksums of processed files;
  • Information concerning URLs to identify their reputation (personal data, for example, registration information, is not sent);
  • Statistics to increase protection against spam (for example, scanned messages IP addresses and checksums, pictures and attachments checksums);
  • Information about your computer hardware and software;
  • The actual time spent checking the object by the Software’s components.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.