CF with CS - Good Enough Alone?

Do you use Comodo Firewall alone or with Something Else?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Interesting posts. I fully trust in CF with CS settings (many, many thanks by the way for teaching us how to do it) but I still feel kind of weak with its web protection. That’s why I’m still looking for the last tiny tweak...am I wrong?

You can use uBlock Origin + Netcraft extension, along with Google Safe Browsing (many browsers use it) you are well covered.

Safe Browsing – Google Safe Browsing

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Momus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I'm using WD tweaked for security by @Andy Ful 's Configure Defender: AndyFul/ConfigureDefender
CF with @cruelsister 's settings and to make things interesting again I'm also using @NoVirusThanks OSArmor : NoVirusThanks OSArmor
For browsing I use Google Chrome with the AdGuard extension and the Netcraft extension.
Alright, Gandalf the Grey, thanks. This I will give me enough to get my head around hardening WD, I guess. First time I will leave it to WD. Anyway, I will look at Netcraft extension and Adguard as well. Thanks for your time and patience with me!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For me the AdGuard extension works better than uBlock Origin.
But I have used uBlock a long time before switching.
Just try them both to see what works best for you.
By the way I'm using the following (build-in) filters in AdGuard:
English filter
Spyware filter
Social media filter
Annoyances filter
German filter
Dutch filter

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
After using KAFree the last few days, I have noticed large spikes in my RAM useage which I traced to Kaspersky. Removed it, and RAM useage decreased. That being said, and based on everything said in this posting, I have decided to add the Comodo AV module to CF making CIS to satisfy my AV fix.

I would use WD but something so corrupted it, that I cannot get the service to start, and I have tried SFC, and checked a bunch of other web recommendations with no success. Don't want to do a Windows 10 refresh and start over, so I chose the AV module of Comodo instead.

Regardless, I have CF configured with CS settings so I should be rock solid.

Btw, has anybody tried testing and running Comodo's newest Cloud Anti-Virus alongside CF? I know it also has a sandbox and a sophisticated detection engine called Valkyrie. I guess one of the sandboxes would have to be disabled. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
After using KAFree the last few days, I have noticed large spikes in my RAM useage which I traced to Kaspersky. Removed it, and RAM useage decreased. That being said, and based on everything said in this posting, I have decided to add the Comodo AV module to CF making CIS to satisfy my AV fix.

I would use WD but something so corrupted it, that I cannot get the service to start, and I have tried SFC, and checked a bunch of other web recommendations with no success. Don't want to do a Windows 10 refresh and start over, so I chose the AV module of Comodo instead.

Regardless, I have CF configured with CS settings so I should be rock solid.

Btw, has anybody tried testing and running Comodo's newest Cloud Anti-Virus alongside CF? I know it also has a sandbox and a sophisticated detection engine called Valkyrie. I guess one of the sandboxes would have to be disabled. Your thoughts?

I dont know if it is possible, but it is a very very bad idea!

Comodo Firewall already does cloud lookup (same database of CCAV) and does have the Viruscope module too (behavior blocker), so there isnt much to gain.

Try Comodo Internet Security if you want the traditional antivirus module, but in my opinion you are better just using Comodo Firewall with CS settings.

Why not use a On Demand scanner like Zemana Antimalware Portable (scan every week) + VirusTotal Windows Uploader (to check new files like installer programs) ?

VirusTotal Windows Uploader - VirusTotal

With Comodo you need to keep things simple and the cruelsister's settings is the most elegant way.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi CS. I completely agree. I just leave WD enabled for simple signature detection. I don't really notice it running. CF is my main defense without a doubt. The main reason for just keeping WD enabled is just in case anything is on the trusted vendors list in CF and WD may have a signature for it. I recommend the same setup - CF with your settings and WD to non-Tech Savvy family and friends, and, since setting it up for the them my stress levels have dropped significantly lol. I do have a few friends that run jut CF with your settings and a SUA and they're really happy with the setup. Thanks for putting your CF videos together it helped convince the non-Tech savvy friends to switch from paying X amount per year to spending nothing on security software and never having to phone me saying " my uncles sisters brothers cousin who lives in South Africa who I didn't even know existed left for 5 million in his will, I only clicked on the PDF and it broke my computer" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You must mean me LOL? I'm not a clicker and have had only PUPs (years ago via McAfee provided by ISP) and just ditched Sophos Home Free for CF + CS Variation and WD+ConfigureDefender and it's working fine. Great for my budget, nice and light for my old machine! And FAST! Thank you CS et. al.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I dont know if it is possible, but it is a very very bad idea!

Comodo Firewall already does cloud lookup (same database of CCAV) and does have the Viruscope module too (behavior blocker), so there isnt much to gain.

This is a Comodo thing if there ever was one. Comodo seems to be hurrying CCAV along with various changes that don't necessarily appear to PC operators (some of them yes some of them no). But as complex as Comodo is (all of them), I don't want to feel like I don't know how the program is going to respond after an update. Also, I don't like worrying what the settings will say or how they will appear->unless a change is a CLEAR improvement. Still, it is worrysome how much one can feel how determined Comodo is that there be differences in the programs...:rolleyes:

Maybe in the next few months CCAV will gain some steam, but I am guessing maybe another year if Comodo keeps the development up before I would think about running it. For now, Comodo manages CFs bugs in a predicable way, so I, for one, will take that over the others...

Momus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Dear all, is there any save and reliable way to test CF /with CS settings? I tried some eicar test files and CF did not react, it was either WD, Windows Smartscreen or Avast free cleaning the test files. I just want to make sure I have setup up CF correctly?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Sounds like CF may have whitelisted the files via Cloud Lookup. Check the Files List to see if they show up there as "trusted"...

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Momus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Sounds like CF may have whitelisted the files via Cloud Lookup. Check the Files List to see if they show up there as "trusted"...
I just disabled WD and Avast Free and ran the test files again - blame on me, CF caught it right away and contained the files. Now I'm feeling so much better! But thanks for your quick reply, appeciate it lots!
By the way, your recommendation using Avast free feels superb, very light and effective combo! Just don't like its privacy statements, may be I'll by the anti virus pro version, seems to be a fair pricing...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
No problem. I should have thought of that honestly. Good you found out why.

I am feeling pressure too. I went for a trial of Bullguard on another computer, and it's good enough for me to consider paying for the pro version. Avast has great monitoring tools though, so I can see why you choose it for your a-v. Their network is really massive when it comes to collecting files and the sigs are so good.

I might be trying to find something to replace Q360 Essentials on this main PC, but on your suggestion I will look into the privacy policy on a couple of computers here from that have Avast and see where that is now. Thanks for the heads up on it about privacy. Facebook has given me the shivers :censored:...

Momus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
The combo avast and CF seems definately a lightway solution. I've been trying almost all common av - and internet suites and I must admit I was positivly surprised with Avast. With regards to privacy I am not too sure:
https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/29/avast-data-drives-new-analytics-engine/#. According to their privacy policy they claim:
  • Remarketing: In addition to foregoing we may employ 3rd party remarketing services. Remarketing is a way for us to reconnect with users, based upon your past interactions with the Avast website. Third-party marketing vendors may be hired by Avast to perform remarketing services. As a result, third-party vendors, including Google, may show Avast ads on sites on the Internet. Third-party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to Avast website. To opt out of customized Google Display Network ads visit the Ads Preferences Manager. Alternatively, you can opt out of third-party vendors’ use of cookies by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page. Any information collected is used only for remarketing purposes and will not be used by third-party marketing vendors for any other purpose.
  • Third-party content and sites.
    There may be times when we offer links to third-party sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or others.
    • Third-party links are provided for convenience only, and should not be construed as an endorsement, approval, or guarantee of any such third-party sites or the content they offer. We may also offer links to join us on Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party sites. If you click on such a link and navigate away from our site, your use of the third-party site will be governed by the terms and conditions, privacy policy, and information security policy of the third-party site.
    • Occasionally thumbnails and user profiles (including your primary photo) from these sites will be imported onto our "Community" pages, as is the case if you post a comment that is linked to your Facebook profile. Clicking on such a thumbnail or profile link will take you away from the Avast website to a third-party site (for example, Facebook). By connecting from our website to any third-party site, you agree that we are not responsible for any loss or damage you may suffer as a result of your dealings with the third party, or your use of or reliance on any of that party's content.

Might be I am a little bit paranoid or Avast is just a straight forward and honest company :))

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The combo avast and CF seems definately a lightway solution. I've been trying almost all common av - and internet suites and I must admit I was positivly surprised with Avast. With regards to privacy I am not too sure:
Avast Data Drives New Analytics Engine. According to their privacy policy they claim:
  • Remarketing: In addition to foregoing we may employ 3rd party remarketing services. Remarketing is a way for us to reconnect with users, based upon your past interactions with the Avast website. Third-party marketing vendors may be hired by Avast to perform remarketing services. As a result, third-party vendors, including Google, may show Avast ads on sites on the Internet. Third-party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to Avast website. To opt out of customized Google Display Network ads visit the Ads Preferences Manager. Alternatively, you can opt out of third-party vendors’ use of cookies by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page. Any information collected is used only for remarketing purposes and will not be used by third-party marketing vendors for any other purpose.
  • Third-party content and sites.
    There may be times when we offer links to third-party sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or others.
    • Third-party links are provided for convenience only, and should not be construed as an endorsement, approval, or guarantee of any such third-party sites or the content they offer. We may also offer links to join us on Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party sites. If you click on such a link and navigate away from our site, your use of the third-party site will be governed by the terms and conditions, privacy policy, and information security policy of the third-party site.
    • Occasionally thumbnails and user profiles (including your primary photo) from these sites will be imported onto our "Community" pages, as is the case if you post a comment that is linked to your Facebook profile. Clicking on such a thumbnail or profile link will take you away from the Avast website to a third-party site (for example, Facebook). By connecting from our website to any third-party site, you agree that we are not responsible for any loss or damage you may suffer as a result of your dealings with the third party, or your use of or reliance on any of that party's content.

Might be I am a little bit paranoid or Avast is just a straight forward and honest company :))
Very informative post, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.