Charbel's configuration

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What version of Windows ?
Any on demand scanner(s) such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,Hitman Pro,Herd Protect,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,ESET Online Scanner,etc. ?
Any back up solution ?
CCleaner or Privazer if not installed
Any extensions for Chrome such as uBlock,WOT,HTTPS Everywhere ?
Consider a 2nd Browser

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
What version of Windows ?
Any on demand scanner(s) such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,Hitman Pro,Herd Protect,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,ESET Online Scanner,etc. ?
Any back up solution ?
CCleaner or Privazer if not installed
Any extensions for Chrome such as uBlock,WOT,HTTPS Everywhere ?
Consider a 2nd Browser
Windows 7
I have a 3TB External Disk for back up
On chrome i use Adblock
2nd Browser:Internet Explorer

L

LabZero

It is very important a backup program for securing data (you have an external drive) but also OS in case of crash or deep damage due to malware or corruption of system files.
I suggest you Paragon B&R free which is very complete and reliable and can save a working image of your OS with all the files you want to restore in case of necessity:)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Just some suggestions...

You are using Kaspersky Internet Security 2015.

Configure it properly for best results. 95 % of user unhappiness with AV is due to improperly configured settings.

If you installed on clean system and immediately activated Trusted Application Mode and dis-abled "Trust Digitally Signed Applications," then the only way you can get infected is by allowing the malware - and that is a multi-step process with KIS as the engineers made it that way on-purpose.

TAM is pretty much fool-proof, but as we all know users are super-fools. (Joke, not meant to offend).

In any case, I add the following to KIS and leave it at that as there is no need for anything else:

MBAM Free
Backup if you will actually use it: AOMEI Free - it will do everything you need for back-ups. Incremental is best.
CCleaner Free (will clean up things not covered by KIS' privacy trace cleaner)

For you, all you absolutely need is AOMEI or other freeware back-up. AOEMI offers a lot that others do not.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Charbel, thank you for sharing your configuration with us. I agree with @exterminator20's suggestions. I've filled his prescription for every extension mentioned, & use 2 of the scanners he's listed as well as the CCleaner which is safe enough to be used before or after every browsing session!
..and @Klipsh's & @hjlbx's backup advise insures against loss in case the very worst happens.

We have recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 on our own Windows 7 SP 1 too!:) How do you like it?o_O

I truly believe in LastPass, the free extension which uses encryption security to keep your passwords safe while also affordiing your life less worry & fewer headaches!:p

Read more about it here:

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
KIS is all you need, just try to tweak the settings especially the application control which one to be the backbone of its component where at default it will determine based on heuristic analyzer so malicious program might marked high restricted but chances to execute it.

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
It is very important a backup program for securing data (you have an external drive) but also OS in case of crash or deep damage due to malware or corruption of system files.
I suggest you Paragon B&R free which is very complete and reliable and can save a working image of your OS with all the files you want to restore in case of necessity:)
Hello @Klipsh!
Thanks for your advance, i will try Paragon B&R and i will tell you later if i like it :)

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
Just some suggestions...

You are using Kaspersky Internet Security 2015.

Configure it properly for best results. 95 % of user unhappiness with AV is due to improperly configured settings.

If you installed on clean system and immediately activated Trusted Application Mode and dis-abled "Trust Digitally Signed Applications," then the only way you can get infected is by allowing the malware - and that is a multi-step process with KIS as the engineers made it that way on-purpose.

TAM is pretty much fool-proof, but as we all know users are super-fools. (Joke, not meant to offend).

In any case, I add the following to KIS and leave it at that as there is no need for anything else:

MBAM Free
Backup if you will actually use it: AOMEI Free - it will do everything you need for back-ups. Incremental is best.
CCleaner Free (will clean up things not covered by KIS' privacy trace cleaner)

For you, all you absolutely need is AOMEI or other freeware back-up. AOEMI offers a lot that others do not.
Hi @hjlbx!
First of all thanks for all of this adviced! Yesterday, i installed SuperAntiSpyware for Spyware and with the first scan i had find many spyware on my system! In the past i was using MBAM but because it was crashing continuity i had uninstalled from my system :)
Also CCleaner was on of my favorite software in the past but in the last clean i perform with CC, he cause BSOD and i don't search why so i uninstalled too!
I will AOEMI for back-up and i will tell you if it works :) Thanks again for your time :)

Reactions: LabZero

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
@Charbel, thank you for sharing your configuration with us. I agree with @exterminator20's suggestions. I've filled his prescription for every extension mentioned, & use 2 of the scanners he's listed as well as the CCleaner which is safe enough to be used before or after every browsing session!
..and @Klipsh's & @hjlbx's backup advise insures against loss in case the very worst happens.

We have recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 on our own Windows 7 SP 1 too!:) How do you like it?o_O

I truly believe in LastPass, the free extension which uses encryption security to keep your passwords safe while also affordiing your life less worry & fewer headaches!:p

Read more about it here:
Hello @Cats-4_Owners-2!
First of all i would thank you for your advise and for your time :) As i said before for MBAM & CCleaner i was using them in the past but now i'm not because they cause problems. @Klipsh and @hjlbx advise was very important because i never thinking for a backup image of my OS.
As for KIS 2015 i think that it is one of the best Internet Security software that is avalaible right now, in the last year i was using KIS 2014 and if we compare KIS 2014 with KIS 2015 you will see that it's more "lighter" (i don't know if i use the right word) than KIS2014. Also it's have a new feature "Cloud Protection" but i had never tried it yet. I hope i will try it later.
Finally for passwords safe, in the past i was using kaspersky password manager, now i'm using StickyPassword 7 and i change because the extensions of KPM that is not compatible with the latest version of Chrome Borwser.

H

hjlbx

CCleaner cause problems...really ?

For 32-bit system you have complete protections with Kaspersky (64-bit system only has partial protection since 32-bit coded Kaspersky can't hook on system). In practical terms you cannot improve upon KIS 2015 for your system. You selected best option available.

Cloud protection is always on in KIS. Clout protection = Kaspersky Security Network. You've been using silently it since it was installed. :D[/USER]

Reactions: Charbel
H

hjlbx

I wonder when Kaspersky will code 64 bit versions of their products.

Eugene Kaspersky states only about 20 % of users have 64-bit system so he is not inclined to do it anytime soon.

Maybe when 50 % of users are 64 bit...

Apologies. This has nothing to do with your config.

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
I wonder when Kaspersky will code 64 bit versions of their products.

Eugene Kaspersky states only about 20 % of users have 64-bit system so he is not inclined to do it anytime soon.

Maybe when 50 % of users are 64 bit...

Apologies. This has nothing to do with your config.
I think that after 2-3 Years the 64 bit version of Windows OS will be the 70% of all their users, and then they wiill code 64bit versions of their products.

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Hi @hjlbx!
First of all thanks for all of this adviced! Yesterday, i installed SuperAntiSpyware for Spyware and with the first scan i had find many spyware on my system! In the past i was using MBAM but because it was crashing continuity i had uninstalled from my system :)
Are you sure that it's spyware, or just tracking cookies? SAS is notorious for flagging cookies which are harmless.

IMHO SAS isn't worth it to use anymore - if you need an antimalware scanner, my choice is Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Charbel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2015
Are you sure that it's spyware, or just tracking cookies? SAS is notorious for flagging cookies which are harmless.

IMHO SAS isn't worth it to use anymore - if you need an antimalware scanner, my choice is Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Yes you are right, it dosen't find malware, today i installed the latest version of MBAM 2.1.4 (which have new interface) and it find 6 malware on my system.
SAS is tracking cookies from the browsers, i think i will uninstall it in the next days.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.