Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Chatty Cortana Lets Strangers Use Your PC:
SOURCE: laptopmag.com (ARTICLE DATE: 12th Aug 2016)

Microsoft's Cortana digital assistant for Windows 10 can help you set a reminder, email your boss or check the weather, but could she also help a malefactor gain access to your data?

cortana-settings-lockscreen-333x400.png

With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Cortana now appears on a PC's lock screen by default, letting you query the internet or set reminders without logging in. A user-enabled option also allows Cortana to send emails or texts, query your contacts or access your calendar without requiring you to enter your user password. That's definitely convenient, but it could also be extremely risky should your computer fall into the wrong hands.

Stu Sjouwerman, CEO of the security firm KnowBe4, said he felt that any type of function from the lock screen opened the door to hackers.

"The idea is to minimize your attack surface, not to expand it with an AI-like function that may have unknown 0-days," Sjouwerman said, adding that unlock-free access is "an invitation to hackers to see if this has any vulnerability they can exploit."

If you do allow Cortana to control your messages, calendar and contacts from the lock screen, there's no doubt you are taking a risk. A bad actor who walks by your computer in the office, or steals your laptop out of your bag, could view your business contacts, email a damaging message to a client or co-worker, or add a fictitious meeting to your schedule. For those reasons, corporate IT departments will probably disable the feature...

To read the full article please visit the link at the top of the page

H

hjlbx

"The idea is to minimize your attack surface, not to expand it with an AI-like function that may have unknown 0-days"

Microsoft doesn't know about such things.

It's primary objective is to create an entertainment system.

Entertainment = revenue\income.

Once the world gets its first successful billion dollar attack, maybe some things will change fundamentally - but I highly doubt it.

It takes massive tragedy - loss of life and\or financial disaster - to get anything to fundamentally change in this world -- and even then the change - if any - is VERY slow to come.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for sharing.
Cortana is disabled by company policy (O&O ShutUp / W10Privacy). And that will remain ;)

o&o shutup is one of the nicer ones in the win10 antispying programs! I use it as well , next to spybot anti beacon!

Reactions: Logethica

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
o&o shutup is one of the nicer ones in the win10 antispying programs! I use it as well , next to spybot anti beacon!
As I began with Windows 10 I used O&O ShutUp primarily but after a few weeks I looked for another, more extensive tool. Then I found W10Privacy it includes all functions from O&O ShutUp and you can disable much more. You also can disable/uninstall - it's differently from app to app - apps with W10Privacy.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Okay cortana rarely worked correctly on my lappie so its disabled as of now. Though its enabled on my phone.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
As I began with Windows 10 I used O&O ShutUp primarily but after a few weeks I looked for another, more extensive tool. Then I found W10Privacy it includes all functions from O&O ShutUp and you can disable much more. You also can disable/uninstall - it's differently from app to app - apps with W10Privacy.

do you have a link of W10Privacy @FrankS? I'm kinda keen on checking that one out. you made me curious :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.