Battle Cheap laptop recommendation (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

PD20

Oct 12, 2019
Does anyone have experience buying late model refurbished laptops from Amazon? I mean specifically business class laptops notated as Microsoft Certified. Is this simply verbal rubbish with no legitimacy?
I'm wary of buying used but they do provide some possible great deals. Thanks!

PD20

Oct 12, 2019
Hello members! Any thoughts on my previous question regarding buying Amazon refurbished? Thanks

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I know one person who bought a refurbished business-class Lenovo notebook and loved it.

My advice is to check Walmart for new models, especially Acers, which are cheaper than comparable brands. Sometimes Walmart gets new models before Amazon does and many are deeply discounted for back-to-school. I got my current W10 Acer from Walmart in 2016, an i3 with 4 GB of RAM that cost only $300 new, the same price at that time as other brands with crappy Celerons and only 2-3 GB of RAM. My previous Acer worked perfectly for 7 years until the power button broke.

PD20

Oct 12, 2019
Thanks for the input. I mentioned Amazon because I have a 390.00 credit and it's burning a hole in my pocket!

Reactions: DDE_Server

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@South Park I don't like Acer laptops, as they known for being of poor quality. But having said that, I usually don't like consumer model laptops of any brand, due to the typically poor build quality.

I recently bought an Acer TravelMate business laptop, as I often buy cheap laptops from eBay to resell. The quality was not what I would expect from a business laptop, with flimsy hinges that would have broken in time, which is something you don't typically see on business laptops. However their TimelineX range of business laptops are meant to be of decent quality.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
@South Park I don't like Acer laptops, as they known for being of poor quality. But having said that, I usually don't like consumer model laptops of any brand, due to the typically poor build quality.

I recently bought an Acer TravelMate business laptop, as I often buy cheap laptops from eBay to resell. The quality was not what I would expect from a business laptop, with flimsy hinges that would have broken in time, which is something you don't typically see on business laptops. However their TimelineX range of business laptops are meant to be of decent quality.
The Acer NV where the power button broke had the button curiously located in the hinge, a terrible design choice. It actually broke after 5 years, but I was able to keep it running for 2 more years by using a program to automatically start up the computer at a designated time each day. (I couldn't completely shut it down or it wouldn't start up at all.) My current Acer Aspire looks to be more solidly built, but time will tell. My only other ownership experience was with Toshiba (one good, one terrible) and some super-cheap awful desktop PCs like Packard-Bell and Compaq.

Devilboss94

Level 1
Apr 16, 2020
Hi, difficult to get something good new at that figure, if you add something you can take the Lenovo ideapad s130, it could be enough for the use you will have to make of it.
The idea of the Chromebook is also good, but the system is very limited compared to windows.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
difficult to get something good new at that figure, if you add something you can take the Lenovo ideapad s130, it could be enough for the use you will have to make of it.

Yes, you don't get much at that figure. The Lenovo L330 is just above that amount. It's been good enough for my use, but @roger_m 's advice about business laptops is probably spot on - if you have the cash or are willing to buy refurbished.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As many said..ACER laptops are poor built..Cheap mother boards..filmy hinges ..Poor thermals ( Gaming laptops)..Gateway is there manufacturing unit.

But Acer did improve from around 2017..with Nitro series and Predator series..for consumer line...these are robust build with reasonable tag...took them 7 yrs to get into line.

Their business line is top quality ..aspire series are always tough built.

You get what you pay for !

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
As many said..ACER laptops are poor built..Cheap mother boards..filmy hinges ..Poor thermals ( Gaming laptops)..Gateway is there manufacturing unit.

But Acer did improve from around 2017..with Nitro series and Predator series..for consumer line...these are robust build with reasonable tag...took them 7 yrs to get into line.

Their business line is top quality ..aspire series are always tough built.

You get what you pay for !
What about their ultrabooks, since they're thin and all?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Mamba

Aug 22, 2020
At this price range, your best options are either Windows 10 Netbook or Chromebooks. They offer basic productivity and use cloud storage. My suggestion would be

This French brand laptop offers Atom x5-z8300 processor with HD 400 Graphics system and 4GB of DDR3L RAM. With this laptop, you can easily browse the web, work with your Word and Excel documents as well as enjoy old games from 2000s and indie titles like Fallout 3, Skyrim (original, at 800 x 600 or lower), Fallout New Vegas (low preset), Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Devil May Cry 3 etc.

If you need more info, you can visit this page for more details:
5 Cheap Gaming Laptop Under 200 Dollars in 2020: Reviews & Buying Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.