Dave Russo

Level 11
Verified

PD20

Does anyone have experience buying late model refurbished laptops from Amazon? I mean specifically business class laptops notated as Microsoft Certified. Is this simply verbal rubbish with no legitimacy?
I'm wary of buying used but they do provide some possible great deals. Thanks!

PD20

Hello members! Any thoughts on my previous question regarding buying Amazon refurbished? Thanks

South Park

Level 3
Verified
I know one person who bought a refurbished business-class Lenovo notebook and loved it.

My advice is to check Walmart for new models, especially Acers, which are cheaper than comparable brands. Sometimes Walmart gets new models before Amazon does and many are deeply discounted for back-to-school. I got my current W10 Acer from Walmart in 2016, an i3 with 4 GB of RAM that cost only $300 new, the same price at that time as other brands with crappy Celerons and only 2-3 GB of RAM. My previous Acer worked perfectly for 7 years until the power button broke.

roger_m

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
@South Park I don't like Acer laptops, as they known for being of poor quality. But having said that, I usually don't like consumer model laptops of any brand, due to the typically poor build quality.

I recently bought an Acer TravelMate business laptop, as I often buy cheap laptops from eBay to resell. The quality was not what I would expect from a business laptop, with flimsy hinges that would have broken in time, which is something you don't typically see on business laptops. However their TimelineX range of business laptops are meant to be of decent quality.

South Park

Level 3
Verified
@South Park I don't like Acer laptops, as they known for being of poor quality. But having said that, I usually don't like consumer model laptops of any brand, due to the typically poor build quality.

I recently bought an Acer TravelMate business laptop, as I often buy cheap laptops from eBay to resell. The quality was not what I would expect from a business laptop, with flimsy hinges that would have broken in time, which is something you don't typically see on business laptops. However their TimelineX range of business laptops are meant to be of decent quality.
The Acer NV where the power button broke had the button curiously located in the hinge, a terrible design choice. It actually broke after 5 years, but I was able to keep it running for 2 more years by using a program to automatically start up the computer at a designated time each day. (I couldn't completely shut it down or it wouldn't start up at all.) My current Acer Aspire looks to be more solidly built, but time will tell. My only other ownership experience was with Toshiba (one good, one terrible) and some super-cheap awful desktop PCs like Packard-Bell and Compaq.