Battle Cheap Phone with Android 7 / 8 / 8.1 and above 16GB Space?

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Here is a review of it on the TechTablets.com YouTube channel. It sounds like it is decent for the price.

There are a lot of in-depth reviews of Xiaomi phones on that channel

I also looked at a few reviews from the German area. Seems to be a really nice phone! Is it Xiaomi Updated a Lot? That's my main concern (that there are no updates) otherwise I would buy it myself! : D

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I also looked at a few reviews from the German area. Seems to be a really nice phone! Is it Xiaomi Updated a Lot? That's my main concern (that there are no updates) otherwise I would buy it myself! : D
Xiaomi regularly release OTA updates for their phones. But they often won't provide updates to new versions of Android. Despite of that, it should get updates for a long time and will even get updates to new versions of their customised version of Android, MIUI, which may include new features and performance improvements.

Xiaomi are well known for the top quality of their products. I don't own any of their phones, but do have an air purifier, WiFi extender and even an electric shaver made by them and they all work well.

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Xiaomi regularly release OTA updates for their phones. But they often won't provide updates to new versions of Android. Despite of that, it should get updates for a long time and will even get updates to new versions of their customised version of Android, MIUI, which may include new features and performance improvements.

Xiaomi are well known for the top quality of their products. I don't own any of their phones, but do have an air purifier, WiFi extender and even an electric shaver made by them and they all work well.
Ok. I buy this Phone (in November) anyway xD

Buy a phone that you will easily be able to get support for it. Don't think for a minute that your phone is going to be reliable or nothing will happen to it. Believe me, something will happen to your phone.

The discount phones from little-known manufacturers sold on Amazon are basically sold "as-is" = no support, despite having a warranty. Research it. You will find that returning the phone for a warranty claim is either impossible or will be a major, major hassle.

Like I said, in your price range, the best options are the phones offered by the local carriers where you live. You have to sacrifice features for support and warranty coverage. Otherwise you are wasting your money. Something will happen to the phone, it cannot be fixed (or you will have to pay to get it fixed), and you will have to spend the same amount of money or more to get a new one.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The discount phones from little-known manufacturers sold on Amazon are basically sold "as-is" = no support, despite having a warranty. Research it. You will find that returning the phone for a warranty claim is either impossible or will be a major, major hassle..
Xiaomi are opening stores in Germany, so soon there will be local support.

I've had my $130 Meizu (one of the biggest Chinese brands) M2 for three years and cannot fault the quality of it. If it was to fail, I'd replace it with another cheap phone. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on products which don't have local support. But for cheap items, then I don't see it as being an issue really, particularly when buying a quality brand, which probably won't develop issues.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks great but I dont want pay above 170€. […]
(I am still at school. You do not have that much money for everything)
Just an observation.

In your Hardware Showcase thread, a rough $1000 to $2500 spent on this Gaming PC over a 5 year period. Would it not be logical to save an extra €100 and get something better. A phone cannot be upgraded like a custom PC.

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Just an observation.

In your Hardware Showcase thread, a rough $1000 to $2500 spent on this Gaming PC over a 5 year period. Would it not be logical to save an extra €100 and get something better. A phone cannot be upgraded like a custom PC.
I only use my Phone for WhatsApp and other Social Medias. The only Game is Clash Of Clans. I think this Xiaomi is enough.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Moto G is a good option I think. You can often buy an earlier version of a new phone at a big discount. I got a phone from an online retailer- new but the previous version. It’s good and still supports current updates under Android 8.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.