App Review CheckMAL AppCheck Anti-Ransomware (free) - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Very good, AppCheck is strong, the free version for some reason has the MBR protection disabled.
I think disabling the backup and external back up options is enough in the free version, they should enable
the MBR protection.
I have a feeling the Pro version may have stopped Petya in its tracks, as it went for the MBR it would have triggered
the Pro version maybe ?
CheckMal is aiming for a March release date in the US, so we well be able to test the full version in a few short weeks.
Awesome test brother, Thanks ;)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Very good, AppCheck is strong, the free version for some reason has the MBR protection disabled.
I think disabling the backup and external back up options is enough in the free version, they should enable
the MBR protection.

I have a feeling the Pro version may have stopped Petya in its tracks, as it went for the MBR it would have triggered
the Pro version maybe ?
CheckMal is aiming for a March release date in the US, so we well be able to test the full version in a few short weeks.
Awesome test brother, Thanks ;)

Install MBRFilter = problem is solved ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
exactly. However, I doubt the pro version won't be able to fully protect against .exe and .js ransomwares. In this case (paid), we should look for another product which has 100% (or 99%) protection rate like WAR :)
Totally agree Rain, AppCheck is very good so far but remember this is just the free version being tested.
and no thanks on that 3rd party software @Av Gurus my brother, I have WAR to rely on.
I am just testing a config with HMPA and AppCheck, so for now WAR and VS are sleeping ;)
Not sure if @Ikko from CheckMal has seen this so I will tag him.

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
You compare paid WAR vs free AppCheck.
I just suggest alternative for free which have all you need.
Of course if you have WAR that you don't need AppCheck.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.