App Review AppCheck Anti-Ransomware Reviews

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
AppCheck is anti-ransomware software designed to protect you from Ransomware attacks.
As a reminder, Ransomware is malware designed to encrypt your personal data in exchange for a ransom.
Ransomware has become a scourge for consumers and businesses alike, and tools have been released to block it.
After a failed 1st version, AppCheck is back in the spotlight, finally effective?

AppCheck has evolved, that's a fact.
It's more effective than ever before, and has successfully blocked a large number of Ransomware programs.
But it's still not up to scratch. I managed to infect the machine easily with Cerber5, WannaCry and Fantom, which will finish the test.
Although it knows how to defend itself, AppCheck still has some way to go before it can protect effectively.
In anti-ransomware, I'll be looking at another piece of software, AppCheck remains ineffective, although it's improving.

@Harputlu request

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@Shadowra in your opinion what is, or might be, effective, eg, Kappersky anti-ransomware tool? And how do you distinguish which AV need an extra tool to protect against ransomware? :unsure:
and for home Kaspersky has both free and paid...?? Appreciate your tests and insights!

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra in your opinion what is, or might be, effective, eg, Kappersky anti-ransomware tool? And how do you distinguish which AV need an extra tool to protect against ransomware? :unsure:
and for home Kaspersky has both free and paid...?? Appreciate your tests and insights!

It all depends on the antimalware suite you're using.
If you're using Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton or Eset, for example, I don't see any point. They have effective shields against it.
If you're using Avira, Defender or something else, I'd advise you to do so if you're not careful.

Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware is a very good tool, yes.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

In theory no AV should need an anti-ransomware tool as their job is to protect from these, however, we all know that's not the case. I always like to run an AV alongside a secondary program as I prefer not to rely on one program for my protection. Programs such as Voodoo Shield, OSArmour, Simple Windows Hardening etc fit into the secondary program category.

Now I agree with Shadowra as well, if I was running Kaspersky or Bitdefender I may not run a secondary program, or maybe I might. ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Great test as always. These ransomware product tests always make me a little paranoid. I know i have layered security with H_C CD, FWH and CFA enabled so pretty well protected but the likes of CF always a temptation or use Emsisoft .

Anyway, thank you for doing these tests!

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
It all depends on the antimalware suite you're using.
If you're using Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton or Eset, for example, I don't see any point. They have effective shields against it.
If you're using Avira, Defender or something else, I'd advise you to do so if you're not careful.

Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware is a very good tool, yes.
how about f-secure safe?
thanks in advance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.