App Review CheckMAL AppCheck free 2.0.1.8 - revisit

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks again for another excellent test @Evjl's Rain.

So what is the recommended action with AppCheck now? It appears the program has been targeted by malware writers with these results. I had confidence in it until now, but obviously they need to extensively rethink things. It looks like Swiss cheese against ransomeware.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks again for another excellent test @Evjl's Rain.

So what is the recommended action with AppCheck now? It appears the program has been targeted by malware writers with these results. I had confidence in it until now, but obviously they need to extensively rethink things. It looks like Swiss cheese against ransomeware.
thank you for watching
I don't know what do say to be honest
appcheck pro performed well in cruelsister's test but appcheck free was a total failure in my test. I think it hasn't been updated fast enough to deal with newer ransomwares. I used samples found within a few days or weeks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I don't know whhat do say to be honest
appcheck pro performed well in cruelsister's test but appcheck free was a total failure in my test
Yeah, Pro nets far better results for some reason.
Evil, message or Email Ikko with this video, he takes them seriously.
You can message him here, but I would message him from the contact info found on the AppCheck website
he gets those way faster.
Thanks for the test Evil ;)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Nice test @Evjl's Rain. I did some testing on my own as well and my results were similar. I tested RamsomOff and Temasoft Ranstop as well with the same newer samples, and although Ranstop was a little bit slower (I cheated a little bit, ran 2-3 samples at the same time on a slower VM just to stress test a little bit) to detect, restore files and cleanup, the detection rate in my case was 100% and 0% false positives. AppCheck missed a few and RansomOff killed my machine.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Guys- The true strength of both AppCheck and RanStop is certainly not in excellent zero day ransomware coverage, but instead in the built-in Backup/Recovery functionality they provide. For those that don't image their systems the true value of an anti-ransomware application should be if those files that are being ransomed can be recovered.

Evjl- I see you are also using Xplorer2- pretty nice file manager, yes?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Guys- The true strength of both AppCheck and RanStop is certainly not in excellent zero day ransomware coverage, but instead in the built-in Backup/Recovery functionality they provide. For those that don't image their systems the true value of an anti-ransomware application should be if those files that are being ransomed can be recovered.

Evjl- I see you are also using Xplorer2- pretty nice file manager, yes?
hi cruelsister, thank you for replying this. My pleasure :)
I don't use xplorer2. not sure how you saw that :) maybe you mistake it with notepad++?

Ikko

From AppCheck
Verified
Developer
Jan 1, 2017
To, @Evjl's Rain
I watched over your video and, I just need you to know about some of your testing.

Just for your information, AppCheck kicks in when at least more than 20 files (of monitoring extensions) are encrypted.

I cannot verify either target file extensions are not found nor files are less than 20 in your video.
we have uploaded video in our homepage, that most of your samples were able to detected but in your case just runs. It seems it's because of your testing environment.

My opinion is that testing methodology between antivirus and anti-ransomware should be approached differently.
While antivirus software checks malware's signature by static analysis, AppCheck doesn't. I recommend to run infection one by one as normally happens in most environment.

I can provide Pro license for testing purpose, do you mind to test it over?
and I'd greatly appreciated if you could provide samples which are not detected by AppCheck Pro.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
To, @Evjl's Rain
I watched over your video and, I just need you to know about some of your testing.

Just for your information, AppCheck kicks in when at least more than 20 files (of monitoring extensions) are encrypted.

I cannot verify either target file extensions are not found nor files are less than 20 in your video.
we have uploaded video in our homepage, that most of your samples were able to detected but in your case just runs. It seems it's because of your testing environment.

My opinion is that testing methodology between antivirus and anti-ransomware should be approached differently.
While antivirus software checks malware's signature by static analysis, AppCheck doesn't. I recommend to run infection one by one as normally happens in most environment.

I can provide Pro license for testing purpose, do you mind to test it over?
and I'd greatly appreciated if you could provide samples which are not detected by AppCheck Pro.
hello ikko, I'm happy to see that you replied to my post :)
I can test it again. I want to know there is any difference between appcheck free and pro besides autobackup and MBR protection because I use appcheck free for my friends and family so I prefer testing appcheck free

you mentioned appcheck would kick in when at least 20 files were encrypted. I will put 40 files in the next video to make sure it will work. I don't know about this

I will try to run samples which were not detected by appcheck in this video again. If appcheck still struggles, I will semd you the samples. Do I have to wait for a new version before testing or just use the current version?

Thank you

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.