Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read more: Chinese Antivirus Firm NQ Called 'Massive Fraud'
Mobile anti-malware software developer NQ Mobile denies charges that it inflates its market share and makes spyware.

Report by MuddyWaters Research

"Our research estimates that NQ's real market share in China is only about 1.5%, versus the approximately 55% it reports," the report said. "We estimate that its China paying user base is less than 250,000, versus the 6 million NQ claims."

Adding fuel to the fire, the Los Angeles-based research firm said "top-flight security software engineers" that it hired to review NQ Mobile's antivirus software reported that it posed an information security and privacy risk to users. "NQ's Antivirus 7.0 is unsafe for sale to consumers, and we consider it to be spyware that makes users' phones vulnerable to cyber attack," it said. "Phones are vulnerable to MITM [man-in-the-middle] attacks because NQ fails to adhere to basic security protocols."

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Chinese Antivirus Firm NQ Called 'Massive Fraud'
If true NQ would be one in a steady parade of numerous Chinese companies listed on American stock exchanges that have fleeced/defrauded investors with the fraudulent and misleading information these companies provide to the SEC. Been a victim myself with a coal company (PUDA) I invested in. The CEO sold the company out from under its shareholders and pocketed the money, while disclosure documents given to auditors and the SEC were fraudulent. All American investors were screwed, left holding worthless shares. That's why I am as leery about investing in Chinese stocks now, as I am in putting one of their AVs on my systems.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Additional cautionary info to shareholders and would be investors:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1778362-nq-mobile-using-sino-forest-tactics-to-delay-the-inevitable?source=yahoo

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
NQ (Netquin) isn't really an AV firm as such, but a cellular company. The research firm, Muddy Waters, provides stock analysis to their clients, some really good, some not so much. The company did have a BIG press release about how they would have the China mobile security market sewed up, but with Qihoo, Tencent, and Baidu all there already this wasn't taken very seriously.

And if you would like to check out a CCTV (with English Subtitles) NQ business practices (this pertains to an installed trojan, so is appropriate for MalwareTips!):

CCTV video

(Just noticed this was the same link as Post 1, but needs repetition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.