XYplorer
WinNc

maximus

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 18, 2014
Which is the best/most user-friendly file manager for a regular user?
I am considering:
Total Commader
Directory Opus
XYplorer
WinNc.
Now I use Total Commander on Win 7 but I wonder about other options.
Please help me in choosing.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I have a license for Total Commander going back many years and have never had to pay for any upgrade. It's truly best value for money. However, I also bought a license for DOPUS which I recently renewed.

DOPUS is expensive, but you get what you pay for. It has a huge number of customizations and scripting is also possible. It's definitely more than what I need, but it's very easy to create one or more profiles according to your needs. This is not to say that Total Commander is far behind, but with Total Commander you need to delve more into the settings.

Both programs have excellent community support in their respective forums so I would call this aspect a tie.

Overall, if you describe yourself a "regular" user (and only you really know what this means) and providing you can afford it, go for DOPUS. If you choose Total Commander, you will save some money and there will not be any difference as far as user experience goes.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I've used Free Commandeer for some years & I feel it's the best I've used, I now use the donation version which don't cost must at all, really pleased.
I use it on my secondary device which I keep as a fallback in case my laptop develops an irrecoverable problem. It's good because it's simple and does everything that a casual to medium user would need.

ch4mla

Jan 26, 2023
according to my research, I think it comes down to the following

Directory Opus (very good, simpler than xyplorer, the only one that works well with tablets in this list.)
XYplorer (very good, not as simple as opus, might be a good thing. Personally, I think that XYplorer is more thought out than opus.)
Total Commander (check the Russian powerpack :), bonus points if you can find an English translation file for the thing)
Far manager. (Command Line Interface but it works the same. What I mean by that is that you get a GUI inside the command prompt and you can drag and drop and everything. Bonus points if you use it with conemu (several enhancements))

Im not sure if there are others that have some kind of edge on the above, I really doubt it. (eg. "Files" and "One Commander" on the MSStore are quite hyped, but, they are just not good, lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.