Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
The Official Chrome Adware Removal Extension
- Version: 1.3.10
Updated: October 7, 2017
blocks malicious ads, malware, and Internet threats.

Features:
- Remove all ads
- Block malware
- Block JavaScript alerts
- Block ransomware

- Block malicious URLs
- Customize detections and alerts
- Block popups/popunders
- Block banners
- and if your New Tab page address is hijacked after you click on bad web link, look on Chrome Settings, and read 'On startup" section: "An extension, Chrome Adware Removal, is controlling this setting." - nice! Very nice! - no more hijacking then! Cause "Chrome Adware Removal" changed New Tab address to google.com.

This extension is really awesome - especially because block ransomware, and block also JavaScript modal window alerts (if you notch two first cases in Options/General).

Then I give you some (safe!) TESTS - links with these JavaScript "confirm" modal window alerts I found on the web:

On liesong.de/js/scripts/ confirm modal alert window: JavaScript :)

On Tizag.com : Javascript Tutorial - Confirm :) - you have to click on the "Leave Tizag.com" button, please ...

On w3schools.com: Tryit Editor v3.5 :)

On javascripter.net: JavaScript confirm dialog box :) - you have to click on the "Try it now" button ...

happy clicks to all... but first - download this gem, please.

I use too, in parallel, to block all bad things, ransomware too, fork of uBlock O. in very very nice skin (no brainer, no options and works instantly!) - its name:

"ZenMate Web Firewall"
extension : on Chrome Web Store here: ZenMate Web Firewall (Free, Plus Ad Blocker)

Our Web Firewall is a security solution that blocks malware, trackers & security threats, plus free Ad Blocker against Malvertising!
Based on the high performance uBlock Origin Engine, the fastest engine on the market, ZenMate Web Firewall is a unique & advanced Internet security solution and the ONLY ad blocker to include proprietary 0-day threat intelligence security.

You’re protected from malware, phishing, spyware & other security threats. We’ve included an ad blocker that blocks annoying ads & malvertising, and tracking protection to protect you from trackers following you around the web!

★★ Security Benefits ★★
# Protects you from Phishing, Malware, Malvertising, Ransomware & other security threats
# Proprietary ZenMate Threat Intelligence Security Feed
# Advanced 0-Day Malware protection
# Anti-Phishing intelligence and protection!

★★ Privacy Benefits ★★
# Gain insights into what’s happening to your data
# Tracking Protection against 2,000+ third-party sites
# Block all tracking and spying of your online behaviour!

★★ Ad Blocker ★★
# Blocks annoying ads on all websites, Facebook and YouTube
# Malvertising protection
# Blocks video ads and ads with sound.

★★ Faster Browsing ★★
# Load the pages faster
# Save bandwidth.

Very Well.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Too bad not blocking fingerprints. Just installed and took a spin

1) Showed counter but no breakdown unlike Tunnelbear Blocker/Ghostery/Privacy Badger/uBlock Origin which breakdown in details for each item blocked

2) Should breakdown as follows with counters
a) Ads
b) Ransomware
c) Exploit kits
d) Javascripts
e) Popup/popunder
f) Phishing sites
g) Others

3) Only block exploit kits and scareware are new. The rest can be found in other similar blockers

Also, if I run with default settings I cannot access those links posted in #1. I think it's too aggressive causing the links not to work

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Too bad not removing fingerprints. Just installed and took a spin

1) Showed counter but no breakdown unlike Tunnelbear Blocker which breakdown in details for each item blocked

2) Should breakdown as follows with counters
a) Ads
b) Ransomware
c) Exploit kits
d) Javascripts
e) Popup/popunder
f) Phishing sites
g) Others

3) Only block exploit kits and scareware are new. The rest can be found in other similar blockers

Also, if I run with default settings I cannot access those links posted in #1. I think it's too aggressive causing the links not to work

:rolleyes:
What are you using to block fingerprints?

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
HarborFront note: "Too bad not blocking fingerprints." - but in the next post you wrote that you use ScriptSafe - good!

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.:)

Yeah well good. Ouais mais bon (in French): Ouais Mais Bon - right click/"Open link in New Tab", cause you have your new defender Chrome Adware Removal extension.

- so I think that each one has its own purpose, it's the same with softwares, extensions...
My unbeatable combo, in the first row, is just ContentBlockHelper and ScriptSafe!
ScriptSafe's role is to block fingerprints, among many other impressive tasks. Click ScriptSafe Options and notch what you need.

Thank you for your tip about block canvas fingerprints in Chrome - I have turned on in my Slimjet Settings/Security section the option: “Disable reading from HTML5 canvas" so I'm good by this way too.
I don't have Chrome - big spy. Only Chrome forks that are safe from spying .. and Ultrasurf VPN.
Yet I don't hide anything, except hide from bad web dangers. :geek:

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
What is this?:D how did you find it? installed it so far so good!

What is this? - "TunnelBear Blocker is open source, forked from uBlock Origin."

I downloaded it then removed, cause to block fingerprint I must have ScriptSafe, and to all other block functions (and more!) I must have 'ZenMate Web Firewall' too based on the uBlock Origin, mate ..

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Chrome Adware Removal Extension said:
The Official Chrome Adware Removal Extension blocks malicious ads, malware, and Internet threats.

Is it me? When someone claims authority ("The OFFICIAL Chrome) and ultimate user satisfactiob (BEST RATED) and has a website www.extension-apps.xyz which does not load on my PC, I become suspicious and pass.

Maybe just bad marketing tactics of the developer, but these practices are also typical for snooping and clickjacking extensions.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Is it me? When someone claims authority ("The OFFICIAL Chrome) and ultimate user satisfactiob (BEST RATED) and has a website www.extension-apps.xyz which does not load on my PC, I becone suspicious and pass.

Maybe just bad marketing tactics of the developer, but these practices are also typical for snooping and clickjacking extensions.

Yeah, maybe maybe ...
Right click on this "website"/inspect: I see nice blue body approx 628x713 pixels, and nothing more .. "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()" ... for favicon.ico. <script type="text/javascript">, minimal ..
- But this extension works nicely!
for now

On Chrome web store you have a lot of extensions without developer website (greyed), too bad sure.
But I imagine that all extensions are well confirmed by the Chrome authorities.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
So the horizon is not clean, the sky is cloudy

From Hacker News: by news.ycombinator.com very interesting discussion:

Malware in the browser: how you might get hacked by a Chrome extension

"- A big problem is also with unmaintained extensions that are being bought my malicious players (or developers' accounts hijacked), which then slap on an adware script and push a new version. That way, a previously good extension with a legitimate reason for "accessing your data on all websites" can silently become malicious.

- Yes. Mozilla also allows that, which is really sleazy for Mozilla.

- Google deletes them fairly quickly, at least the couple of times I heard of these things or removed them from friends'/colleagues' computers they were already gone from the Chrome Web Store. That Mozilla bug you linked in another comment reads like an awfully misguided application of policy.

One of these extensions I came across automatically closed about:extensions every time I opened it to prevent uninstallation. Eventually went through the chrome task manager, killing extensions one by one until I found the right one by trial and error. Very frustrating to debug."
.. ..

and on kjaer.io article (nice photo, scroll down): Malware in the browser: how you might get hacked by a Chrome extension

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.