BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Same case :D

Some of the users who upgraded their computers to Windows 10 April 2018 Update are reporting issues with Google Chrome, as the browser freezes shortly after launch.

It’s not clear at this point how many systems are affected by this bug, but several users confirmed in this reddit discussion that Google Chrome also hangs in Windows 10 version 1803.

We couldn’t reproduce the issue on our systems upgraded to the April 2018 Update. The bug, however, doesn’t seem to be limited to just the latest version of Google Chrome.

One user explains that this problem causes the entire system to freeze and not even CTRL + Alt + Del works, with a full reset with the power button the only way to restore the machine.

By the looks of things, there’s no pattern that could help isolate the bug, as it appears to happen at random times, sometime after opening new tabs, new windows, or just when browsing the web.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Tactical move by Microsoft disrupts Chrome users."
"A Microsoft representative recommends making Microsoft Edge as your default browser until a solution is found."

Just updated from
Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
to
Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I was having this problem. Updating my NVidia drivers solved it for me. I've seem many people recommend turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome, I didn't test it so I don't know if it actually works or not.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Its working fine for me but I have a friend that faced this problem even with older Windows 10 builds, dont know why that happens.
My friend updated all the drivers and reinstall Google Chrome but still faced this problem so now he is using Firefox and works fine.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Its working fine for me but I have a friend that faced this problem even with older Windows 10 builds, dont know why that happens.
My friend updated all the drivers and reinstall Google Chrome but still faced this problem so now he is using Firefox and works fine.

Interesting... Firefox was crashing a lot after the update. I didn't test it after I updated my drivers so I don't know if it's solved or not.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Just updated to April 2018 Update and I don't have any issues with Chrome. :unsure:

Screenshot_1.png

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Spoke too soon. I just had another complete freeze. Trying the hardware acceleration trick now.

BTW I'm turning off hardware acceleration on Firefox as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marko :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.