Troubleshoot Chrome Omnibox redirects to Yahoo search instead of Google

Killajoedotcom

Thread author
Jan 8, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Any search in the chrome omnibox redirects the search to Yahoo. All malware/virus scans turn up nothing.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Malware scans, virus scans, internet searches, uninstall recent programs
This problem reared its ugly head late last month. I'm not exactly sure where it came from (there are other users) but it affects all user accounts and slows down the machine. I've tried everything I can think of to try and remove what I believe is malware, but nothing works. Please help.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Reactions: jamescv7
Upvote 0

Killajoedotcom

Thread author
Jan 8, 2015
I love it when they start a help thread and then you never hear from them again. Not the way I was brought up Bro.
Thanks for your reply and helping on this thread @jamescv7
PS Team work is good!!;);)
Donetao, that wasn't the case. I was out of town for a bit. The problem still exists after trying your suggestion. not sure what the issue is.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
And the problem still exists. Help.
Hi Thanks for feed back, but your reply doesn't tell me much. What have you done?? Did you see @jamescv7 reply??
Sorry didn't see your reply. Can you please explain in a little more detail about your problem??
Thanks!
PS You maybe affected by malware! You might want to let our Malware team check you out!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! until you get better replies from other MT members or decide to let our malware team check you out; you could try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling Chrome!!;)

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No. Never heard of that.

What are your applications installed to your PC?

Did you check by going to Control Panel -----> Internet Options ------> then find in Advance Tab the proxy settings then uncheck everything if enables.

Or as suggested by @donetao, try to reinstall it with all data of Google Chrome were erase.

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

Killajoedotcom

Thread author
Jan 8, 2015
So I've uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, cleaned out the data, etc. I also searched for any malware using malware bytes. Seems like the issue will go away for a few days then comes right back. Currently it seems to be fixed after all that, but my machine is super slow and I don't truck that the issue won't start again.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Thanks for your reply. There are lots of reasons why a computer may be slow. It can be hardware or software causing the problem.
See if any thing here helps. There's a lot of good information in this link. If it's still slow after you try all this, then I suggest visiting our malware section. Please keeps us informed and someone here will try their best to solve your issues. I have found that some times you just have to bite the bullet; save your data, and start over with a fresh install of windows.;):(
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

Upvote 0

Killajoedotcom

Thread author
Jan 8, 2015
Thanks. I'll give it a shot this afternoon and let you know if the problem arises again. May end up going over th o the malware section first. Last report is going to be to wipe it clean and reattack.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks. I'll give it a shot this afternoon and let you know if the problem arises again. May end up going over th o the malware section first. Last report is going to be to wipe it clean and reattack.

Actually in Malware Removal Assistance there are similar problems that considered to be solved but not recommend to use those tools since its by user specific solutions only. ;)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.