Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I heard that Yandex browser has come a long way and even has security features that Chrome does not.
What are the pros and cons? Why is it that more people are not switching to Yandex?
I hear people talking mainly about Chrome and Firefox.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yandex Browser is a freeware web browser developed by the Russian web search corporation Yandex that uses the Blink web browser engine and is based on the Chromium open source project. The browser checks webpage security with the Yandex security system and checks downloaded files with Kaspersky anti-virus. The browser also uses Opera Software's Turbo technology to speed web browsing on slow connections.

The security features of Yandex are also mentioned

Yandex Browser - Wikipedia

IMO,

1) Both also use Chromium open source
2) Chrome takes your privacy data. For Yandex, the Russians take your privacy data. And with Putin's intention of building a Great Russian Firewall the encryption aspect in Russian software don't look good.
3) If you use a VPN then the security features of Yandex are of no use
4) If you use an AV then Yandex's Kaspersky AV serves only as a double-check on the downloads
5) If you use the Turbo feature with proxy (by Opera) then you cannot use your VPN

Maybe Yandex has better non-security features than Chrome but I'll still stick with Chrome for its fast update, familiarity and ease of use :)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It has hips and Https scanner!! so Yandex has better security features!
Yandex browser uses AI to secure online banking
Also, I proved the Agnitium team working on Yandex browser:
Update - Agnitium Outpost Firewall is dead
HTTPS Scanner? Are you referring to its Secure WiFi? If yes, a VPN already provides the data encryption

Protect: secure Wi-Fi - Browser

For HIPS you can choose a firewall with better HIPS capability or take ReHIPS then

For secure banking your ISS software should come with such a feature + FW + HIPS + HTTPS scanning. ESET IS has them all

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yandex Browser is a freeware web browser developed by the Russian web search corporation Yandex that uses the Blink web browser engine and is based on the Chromium open source project. The browser checks webpage security with the Yandex security system and checks downloaded files with Kaspersky anti-virus. The browser also uses Opera Software's Turbo technology to speed web browsing on slow connections.

The security features of Yandex are also mentioned

Yandex Browser - Wikipedia

IMO,

1) Both also use Chromium open source
2) Chrome takes your privacy data. For Yandex, the Russians take your privacy data. And with Putin's intention of building a Great Russian Firewall the encryption aspect in Russian software don't look good.
3) If you use a VPN then the security features of Yandex are of no use
4) If you use an AV then Yandex's Kaspersky AV serves only as a double-check on the downloads
5) If you use the Turbo feature with proxy (by Opera) then you cannot use your VPN

Maybe Yandex has better non-security features than Chrome but I'll still stick with Chrome for its fast update, familiarity and ease of use :)
For people living in the USA, or in USA-allied countries, your privacy is stronger if the Russians snoop on you, than if the USA snoops on you. It is dead data, as long as you are not plotting to overthrow King Putin.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For people living in the USA, or in USA-allied countries, your privacy is stronger if the Russians snoop on you, than if the USA snoops on you. It is dead data, as long as you are not plotting to overthrow King Putin.
I think you are more worried of NSA/CIA/FBI......snooping on you than the Russians, no?

:rolleyes:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Nah! https scanner!Protect: shield against untrusted certificates btw how you wanna replace hips with VPN!?
all from that page:
The Protect integrated security system is used in Yandex.Browser to check website certificates. If there is any doubt about a certificate’s authenticity, the browser will warn you.
Attention. If you disable HTTPS checks, it doesn't mean you're unprotected. Yandex.Browse runs its own security checks on your downloading files, blocks malicious pages and banners, and uses advanced protection for bank and payment-system pages

it also has baking mode! Protect: protected mode
it has everything that I need for daily usage!

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Chrome lets you make a desktop shortcut to a specific web app, such as Gmail, and the shortcut opens as a window without all the regular toolbars and bookmarks that you would ordinarily see. This makes for a very clean and convenient interface. Firefox can't do this. What about Yandex?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
IMO, the security of a browser should focus more on features like

1) anti-clickjacking
2) anti-keystroke profiling
3) web-based script protection
4) prevents redirection
5) malicious extension protection
6) https scanning

and leaves the rest (banking protection, HIPS, secure WiFi, exploit protection etc) to other security software.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Chrome lets you make a desktop shortcut to a specific web app, such as Gmail, and the shortcut opens as a window without all the regular toolbars and bookmarks that you would ordinarily see. This makes for a very clean and convenient interface. Firefox can't do this. What about Yandex?
The answer is yes, Yandex can do it.

But Yandex seems to rely on adobe flash, which has me a bit worried.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I don't use the feature you are talking about and don't know what is it!
But I disabled the flash and also removed the file related to flash from here: AppData\Local\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\PepperFlash\26.0.0.137\pepflashplayer.dll

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Main security features: Protect: keeping you safe online - Yandex.Browser

Highlights: DNSCrypt, Kaspersky file scanner, Sophos web-filtering, Password protection, Protected mode.

capture_12022017_225855.jpg

But Yandex seems to rely on adobe flash, which has me a bit worried.
Flash is not installed by default, you have to install it, if you need it.

Attachments

• capture_12022017_230630.jpg
    capture_12022017_230630.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 637
  • capture_12022017_230709.jpg
    capture_12022017_230709.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 600

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Flash is not enabled but it's there and installed:D go that folder so you will find it or here: chrome://plugins

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 26.0.0.137 (Disabled)
Shockwave Flash 26.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 26.0 r0
Version: 26.0.0.137
Location: .........AppData\Local\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\PepperFlash\26.0.0.137\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)

Reactions: frogboy

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I don't use the desktop version but do use it on Android. It is true the default search engine is Bing but in settings you can change that to about 7 others. In the phone version, I don't see anything about Kaspersky. I do notice you can add a Lastpass to it in settings under extension catalog. Also has an offensive add blocker. Under content blocker I have Adguard because I have that installed and yes secure WiFi connection.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.